A venerable sign at one of Stonehaven’s oldest hotels has been auctioned off to raise money for charity.
The Royal Hotel sign, dating back to the 1880s, is being replaced as part of a revamp of the premises.
The first Royal Hotel was opened in 1836 in the upper floors of the Market Building on the Square, which is now used by the Unionist Club.
In 1840 it moved across the road to its present site. Alterations were made to the 1840 structure between the 1880s-1900s, during which time the sign was put in place. It’s currently a C listed Building.
Money raised will go to the Aberdeen Neo-Natal Unit for equipment and special incubator items.
The Royal Hotel sign has been cut up into nine pieces, each weighing almost 70kg. Mackie Rugby Club are pictured helping load the sign to be transported for auction.