Great panes taken with war window

editorial image
0
Have your say

Laurencekirk Church will say a temporary goodbye to its Great War Memorial window, immediately after

Easter.

The window is to be taken out for some much-needed remedial work.

Depicting biblical scenes and the names of the men commemorated, the window will be worked on by a specialist contractor from Edinburgh, with temporary boarding taking its place at the church.

The individual panes will be removed from the lead and treated for colour loss, with the restoration expected to take around three months.

Funding is in place for the work after the Church of Scotland approached the War Memorials Restoration Fund - the first window to apply - and received £5760.

The shortfall of £3500 for the complete funding has been generously provided by councillors, from the Aberdeenshire Council Kincardine and Mearns Area Committee budget..

Some 39 members of the then East Church’s congregation were killed, or died from injuries sustained, in the Great War.

The window was transformed into stained glass in their memory, the funds being raised by the Church Women’s Guild.

The Rev. Ronnie Gall told us: “Oscar Paterson, a well-known Glasgow artist, was commissioned to carry out the work in 1922.”

Paterson (1863-1934) produced work for Glasgow Cathedral and Central Station.

He also produced work for the liner Lusitania, and was the most significant stained glass artist in Britain at the time.

Mr Gall added: “The window cost £150 when it was commissioned.

‘‘That figure in today’s terms would be closer to £150,000!”