STONEHAVEN would still have been engulfed, even if alleviation measures planned following the 2009 floods had been in place on December 23.
That was made clear at the Kincardine and Mearns Area committee meeting on Tuesday by area manager Willie Munro, who explained that the mechanics of the 2012 flood were different from that of three years ago when the River Carron burst its banks.
He added: “The mechanics of how water got into people’s properties were not the same.
“Had a scheme been put in place we would still have had a flood on December 23 in Stonehaven. We now have to look at a scheme which can cover both flood events.”
He explained that, after investigations, they had determined that the flooding of the morning of December 23 was caused by water from the A957 running through Dunnottar Woods, the Glasslaw Burn and coming off the Bervie Braes.
He said that the River Carron did have a lot of water running down it but the barriers set up by Aberdeenshire Council worked and diverted the water back into the river.
On the whole, they prevented further damage from being caused.
Responding to criticism of Aberdeenshire Council’s actions since 2009, Mr Munro highlighted the fact that the local authority had made progress, giving the barriers as an example.
He also explained that the information gathered from 2009 made them better prepared, with progress such as flood wardens being put in place, more sandbags being available and also flood gates being installed in homes.
He said that the amount of rain which fell on the night of December 22 and early hours of December 23 was ‘‘unprecedented,’’ and that river levels rose “faster than we have ever seen.”
Mr Munro and Councillors at the meeting all praised actions of the community and other agencies during both flood events in December.