Changes to the £16,000 threshold at which people start to pay full cost of care in Aberdeenshire are being prposed following feedback from families and service users that this is too low.
Aberdeenshire Health and Social Care Partnership is now seeking views from service users and their families on a proposal to raise the threshold to £26,250.
Officers visited very sheltered housing schemes and day centres to advise service users how recent changes to care charges will affect them. Feedback about the threhold came from these discussions.
Previously there was a cap of 35% on the maximum contribution that people were expected to pay towards non-residential care regardless of financial circumstances, leaving Aberdeenshire Council to cover the remaining 65% of costs from within its budget.
Following approval from Aberdeenshire Council’s Social Work and Housing Committee last December this cap was removed, meaning people who can afford to pay more will be expected to make a more significant contribution.
The social work and housing vommittee will consider the proposal at their September meeting; the paper will include the views of Aberdeenshire Health and Social Care Partnership’s Integrated Joint Board (IJB).
The committee has to make the formal decision as charging policy was not devolved to IJBs in the legislation. People can give their views via a short survey at https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/carethreshold