Engine failure caused plane to crash

The plane was forced to land in a field near the A90 just north of Stonehaven (picture from Sunnyside Farm)
The plane was forced to land in a field near the A90 just north of Stonehaven (picture from Sunnyside Farm)

A double engine failure has been established as the reason why a plane crash landed near the A90 at Stonehaven.

The small plane was forced to make an emergency landing at Logie Farm, directly adjacent to the A90 and to the north of Stonehaven on April 9 2014, shortly before 4pm.

The pilot was the only person on board and was uninjured, but the plane could not be salvaged.

The Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) released its finding on the incident which noted that pistons in both engines had suffered from heat damage.

The pilot noticed problems with the right engine shortly after taking off from Wick and, failing to fix the problem he changed his route to Aberdeen.

The AIBB report stated: “Having altered course towards Aberdeen, the pilot then found he was unable to maintain height due to a loss of power on the left engine. Although he had received clearance to land, it quickly became apparent that he would be unable to reach Aberdeen; he therefore opted to put the aircraft down in a ploughed field. Shortly before touching down, both engines failed completely and the pilot reduced his airspeed before landing heavily and coming to a halt after a short ground-slide. There was no fire and the pilot was uninjured.”

The aircraft was on its way from Seattle to Thailand and was on the European leg of the journey, which would have taken it through Greenland, Iceland and Scotland.

The AAIB summary of the incident also noted that: “the flight crew abandoned the aircraft in Greenland late in December 2013 after experiencing low oil pressure indications on both engines.

“This may have been due to the use of an incorrect grade of oil for cold weather operations. The aircraft remained in Greenland until February 28 2014, when a replacement ferry pilot was engaged. Although the engine oil was not changed prior to departing Greenland, the flight continued uneventfully to Wick, in Scotland.”