From the files

From our own archive we bring you what happened in the Mearns in history.


Friday December 14th 1990

Portlethen parents are being urged to “step up a gear” in a bid to obtain a school crossing patrol at Fishermoss Primary School, following Grampian Police’s recent decision not to support a request for such a facility - because traffic volume falls short of the minimum criteria needed to justify a “lollipop” person.

But parents are now being asked by Fishermoss Parent/ Teacher Association, and the local Labour Party, to write to the chief constable asking him to take another look at the situation. Fears are growing that a child will be seriously hurt or killed outside the school. Problems on the road are being worsened by parents arriving by car to collect their children - and often parking illegally on “School - Keep Clear” markings and in a bus layby, to make it as easy as possible for themselves and their own children, without any regard for pupils who have to cross the road and make their way home on foot.

Police who turned down head teacher Mr David Yacamini’s request for a school crossing did so using an objective “National Criteria”. Their survey found that the volume of traffic using Berrymuir Road, and the number of children crossing there, amounted to less than half the total required for a patrol to be introduced.

Police also considered that the parking of vehicles in the lay-by did not pose a threat.


Friday December 10th 1965

Stonehaven Town Council dealt with a number of applications for remission of rates at their monthly meeting on Tuesday evening.

An application on behalf of the recreation grounds trustees was spoken to by Hom. Treasurer G. W. McConachie, who said the trustees had had great difficulty in running the grounds. Last year they raised their charges and gathered some funds which would have to be spent before the end of the year.

They had to face a sum of £200 for a new shed at the putting green, and the fencing alongside the pathway was no credit to a burgh like Stonehaven. It would also take £50 to make the tennis courts satisfactory.

They should encourage the trustees in their efforts to keep up the standards of Stonehaven.

They had been given 50 per cent of remission last year.

Police Judge J. H. Stewart felt the council should give them full relief. Should the council have to take over the grounds and run them it would cost a good deal. They would need more staff to start with.

It was agreed to give 50 per cent remission.

Other remissions granted were: Stonehaven Small Bore rifle Club, 33.5 per cent; Stonehaven Yacht Club, 33.5 per cent.


Thursday December 16th 1915

We are singularly free from railway accidents in Kincardineshire , and therefore all the more attention was attracted to the mishap near Carmont on Friday morning of last week.

Slackened by the hard frost and heavy rain. , a large mass of rock and shingle, variously estimated at up to 500 tonnes in weight, detatched itself from the siding of the cutting and fell down., completely blocking the permanent way. Into this mass of material crashed a goods train coming north. The engine was badly battered by the impact, and the vans behind it were piled up to the height of almost forty feet, one above the other, on the top of the debris. Fortunately the driver and his fireman were thrown clear, having a most miraculous escape.

To remove such a mass of rock was no light task, and the local surfacement had some reason for feeling overcome with the magnitude of the work when the morning light revealed more clearly the actual state of affairs. The work of removing the wrecked engine and van and the fallen rock was extremely difficult owing to the narrowness of the cutting. The damaged engine was brought to Stonehaven station, and was inspected by a large number of people during the time she was lying there.