It happened in the Mearns

This week we bring you what happened in the Mearns from our own archives.

25 YEARS AGO - January 26th 1990

Youngsters at the southern end of Portlethen may soon be getting a youth club of their own! Grampian Region have recently appointed Mrs Wendy Archibald as Under-12 Youth Development Worker, based at Portlethen Community Education Centre, and she has circulated a letter to parents and youngsters in the area asking them for their co-operation in getting the club started.

Mrs Archiblad says: “I believe there is a tremendous potential here for a good club, especially in the southern and newest part of Portlethen, but I need help from both children and parents not only to get the club off the ground, but also to ensure its continued success.” So far Mrs Archibald says she has received an encouraging response, particularly from parents - 50 of whom have already volunteered their help in running the club and organising fund-raising activities.

50 YEARS AGO - January 22nd 1965

Mr Bertram A. Spicer, a Stonehaven licensed grocer, has held a survey among more than 200 of his customers to get their views on capital punishment. He found that all of them, except one elderly woman who said she could not give her opinion, were in favour of retaining hanging. Mr Spicer, whose store is in Gurney Street, has a notice in his shop window giving the result of the survey.


Stonehaven Town Council’s plan for redevelopment of the area to the south-west of Brickfield Road, which was mentioned at last week’s meeting, is opposed by those most concerned - the tenants of the prefabs. When a “Mearns Leader” reporter visited the area this week she found them unwilling to move. There was a slo a general feeling that the houses have a good deal more life in them yet.

100 YEARS AGO - January 28th 1915

A reader asks us to voice his appreciation of the benefit to pedestrians of the granite sett crossing laid down not so long ago near the station “and mind,” he says, “ye word it richt”. The gentleman in question says he never really saw the good of the crossing until he was out on Sunday afternoon for his usual “daunder”. The rest of the road was inches deep in mud but the crossing was quite dry and he made his way in safety across to the other side and round by the Kirkton Road.


The hard frost of the past few days made conditions underfoot much more pleasant than they have been for some considerable time. Before then the mud on the roads, in the towns especially was very bad and the traffic had churned it up into the thin slimy variety abhorred by all.