Aberdeenshire South enjoy victory over Grammar 5ths

Following a heavy defeat at the hands of a very strong University side the previous week, it was a much more level playing field in this game.

Unfortunately, ASHC were without five players through other commitments and illness – and even from the squad of 12 who played, three were suffering from the effects of the illness which is going through the team at the moment.

This game started uneventfully, and it took until the 12th minute for ASHC to gain a penalty corner.

It was struck by Scott McNab, but was saved by the Grammar keeper, and the follow up was cleared off the line.

The next shot was once again saved by the keeper, and then the next was again off the line, no goal but summed up parts of the ASHC game to come.

Two further corners were either saved or deflected past and, on the fourth, Grammar cleared the ball forward which saw a one versus one with Mitchell Deighton in the ASHC goal.

He forced the attacker to pass, which glanced off the stick of Kevin McNab and the ball fell perfectly for the other Grammar attacker to finish for 0-1.

Within five minutes, Grammar were 2-0 up following a good passing move that saw the first shot blocked by Kevin McNab.

Again the ball fell kindly for a Grammar attacker to finish off the move.

Minutes before half time, ASHC had another penalty corner chance, and this time Scott McNab flicked high into the net to pull ASHC back into the game prior to half time.

HT 2-1

The second half, however, was a totally different affair.

Grammar were reliant on quick breaks that only could muster two shots, which Mitchell Deighton dealt with easily.

A now three-man midfield of Scott McNab, Iain Sawers and Stuart Black started to move the ball about, and from one of these moves, the ball fell to McNab who received it outside the circle, waltzed past four defenders and fired low and hard past the Grammar keeper.

In a matter of minutes, the score was 3-2 to ASHC, when a move down the left saw the ball fired into the circle towards the back post to find Tate Randle, who controlled the pass and coolly slotted home for his first of the season.

The game had become one-way traffic, and with 12 minutes remaining, a penalty corner was saved twice by the Grammar keeper, but on the second shot the ball spun off his pads to a free Jack Taylor, who scored from less than a yard to make it 4-2.

This was a much better game for the young team to play in and a good confidence boost. FT 4-2

The next game is this Saturday, February 23, against Ellon HC at Portlethen Academy – 1.30pm start.