Athletic make exit from cup semi-final

Athletic went into this cup sem-final in a confident mood having beaten their opponents earlier in the season, however on the day it was the visitors who seemed more determined and in the end deserved their victory.

The opening exchanges were fairly even with neither keeper having much to do.

With 25 minutes gone it was the visitors who went in front when a slack clearence fell to the Torry midfielder and he rifled high past Middleton from 22 yards.

This spurred the home side to greater effort and Neish and Fraser had half chances before they finally got on level terms.

Athletic were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and when Elliott’s beautifully flighted shot came back off the underside of the bar, Robb was first to react to head home from close range.

The second period started in similar fashion to the first, however gradually Torry gained the upper hand and looked the more likely to score.

The visitors duly went ahead on the hour mark when their striker found himself in space 10 yards out and he shot low past Middleton. Athletic manager Taylor immediately sent on forward Irvine in place of Holtes in an effort to get back on level terms and both Reid and Neish had chances but it was the visitors who increased their lead with 15 minutes left.

Good play up the left allowed their striker a clear run and he shot low past Middleton from 12 yards. Athletic sent on Nicoll for the injured Robb and Cordiner replaced Neish but despite a few near things Athletic could not get back into the game and Torry ran out fairly comfortable winners.

This was a disappointing display by Athletic considering a cup final place was at stake and manager Taylor made it clear that better performances will be needed if Athletic are to progress in their two remaining cup competitions.

Stonehaven Athletic: Middleton, Duncan, MacLeod, Bowron, Holtes, Elliott, MacKenzie, Robb, Fraser, Reid, Neish. Subs: Coutts, Nicoll, Irvive, Cordiner, Cohen.

Athletic would like to thank all those who supported their Race Night at the Station Hotel last Friday when a total of £1,600 was raised. Special thanks to the Station Hotel for the hospitality.