Bervie 13s back in action

Share this article

Bervie Caley U13 9

Dee BC 1

The milder weather finally saw a match go ahead for Bervie, their last being back on December 11. A late change to the line-up was needed with McLaughlin withdrawing due to illness and Thomson stepping in to replace him.

Bervie started the match brightly taking the game to the visitors and a quick throw in from S. Smith saw Avis have his shot saved well at the near post.

Bervie’s first was not long in coming. A free kick on the right was taken by Blacklaw. The ball was fumbled by the keeper and Anderson scrambled the ball home. Bervie were having a lot of joy with throw-ins and another Smith throw to Anderson saw the striker cross for Wotherspoon to head home at the near post for 2–0.

On a rare foray forward Dee BC were awarded a penalty when the forward flicked the ball up against the hand of the unlucky Smith who was unable to move his hand away. From the resultant spot kick the Dee forward slammed the ball past Leisk who was helpless against the well taken spot kick.

With a sense of injustice Bervie grabbed a third goal straight from the kick off when Karpinski played a long ball forward to Anderson who fed Avis to slot home at the near post.

Bervie kept up the pressure and the fourth was not long in coming. The ball was played through to Avis who slotted home from six yards.

Leisk was called into action midway through the first half when a long ball found the winger onside, his square ball found the forward one on one with Leisk who made an excellent save to keep the score at 4–1.

Bervie’s fifth came shortly after with Blacklaw brilliantly beating three men in midfield before slipping the ball through to Thomson who calmly slotted the ball home.

Bervie were awarded a penalty after Karpinksi did well to beat the left back only to be brought down, Blacklaw stepped up and drove the ball home for 6-1.

Karpinksi had to leave the field shortly after this having been brought down again with the visitors starting to play more physically.

Shortly before half time Bervie grabbed a seventh with a through ball from Gordon being controlled by Wotherspoon before slotting home at the far post.

The second half started with Bervie pressing again and after a few early chances had the chance to extend their lead when S. Smith was brought down for another penalty to Bervie.

S. Smith stepped up but saw his effort saved by the keeper. He was not to be denied for long and from another great cross from Blacklaw Smith powered home a header for an 8–1 lead.

Bervie continued to press and Anderson tackled the full back to win the ball back before playing a one two with Dawson only to see his effort blocked for another Bervie corner.

Blacklaw and Avis both went close to extending the lead. Bervies ninth and last came from a throw on the left to Thomson who beat his man before playing Avis in to calmly slot home for his hat-trick.

A good win for the home side, more so given this was their first match for two full months. There were a number of good performances with Avis and Blacklaw standing out.

Bervie U13: T. Leisk, S. Smith, M.Davies, K. Gordon, A.Smith, J. Karpinski, D. Blacklaw, C. Thomson, D. Avis, L. Wotherspoon, H. Anderson. Subs: B. Dawson, F. Reid, M. Brown, A. Wood.