Brave twos go down fighting

Mackie 2nd XV entertained Shire 3rds at Redcloak knowing that if they played with the same pride, passion and skill as against previous opponents this game was for the taking. Unfortunately before kick off the preparation did not go to plan when call offs meant that Mackie went into this game with no bench and no front row meaning uncontested scrums!

Mackie kicked off, and when the ball didn’t go 10, Shire opted for a scrum. From the scrum Shire fed the ball out wide with pace, and with Mackie still not started, scored a converted try almost under the posts,

With around 10 minutes gone Mackie’s Reid suffered a shoulder injury forcing him off and Mackie were down to 14.

With Mackie down to 14 men, and trying to get up in the faces of the Shire midfield, a grubber kick by the Shire 12 turned the Mackie backs. Unfortunately for Mackie the bounce of the ball fell kindly for Shire and their 2nd try was scored.

Mackie were now starting to dominate the ruck area but unfortunately Stuart Byers twisted his dodgy knee and had to leave the field of play. Mackie were now down to 13, but this did not stop them scoring a well worked try in the corner. Forwards and backs carried the ball across the gain line, and eventually reached the Shire 22 on the left hand side. The ball was fed to the right through the hands of the backline where Kieran Ferguson beat his man to score an unconverted try in the corner. A penalty in front of the post for Mackie allowed Reddish to take the 3 points and the score was 8-12.

Shire started to ring the changes putting fresh legs throughout the team. This gave them some impetuous, which led to their full-back scoring a very good converted try.

Mackie then conceded a sloppy 4th try to Shire although the lack of numbers on the field and on the blind side defence can attribute to that.

At this point Stuart Byers decided to enter the fray again, and with Mackie back up to 14 players, they started to dominate the game again. Quick tap penalties due to Shire infringements were taken, catching Shire defence not back 10 on numerous occasions allowing Mackie to kick for the corners. Another Shire infringement for the tackler not rolling away allowed Callum Reddish to tap, pump his legs and burrow his way over in the corner for a try which he converted.

Full Back Jamie McConachie set off on a run, beating three Shire players before a deft lob over the rest of the defence allowed him to pick the ball up and head towards the try line. A Shire defender managed to get back and tackle him, but McConachie had the awareness to feed Newell in support who ran in under the posts for a converted try and Mackie were just two points behind at 24-22.

With seconds remaining Mackie were awarded a penalty about 10 yards in from the sideline on the Shire 22. Mackie decided to go for the posts as it was the last play. Reddish stood up to take the penalty but pulled to the left, but due to a Shire player infringing it was to be retaken. Again Reddish stood up to take the penalty, but this time it agonisingly drifted past the right hand post.