Cowie lose important clash

Sportsmans 2 Cowie Thistle 0

COWIE Thistle lost out in an important clash with Sportsman’s Club on Saturday.

Matthews gave away a free kick 30 yards from goal for a fairly innocuous challenge but found himself in the referee’s book for his remarks to the official.

This moment of madness would prove costly later in the game. From the resultant free kick Sportmans took the lead when a cross into the box found the unmarked centre forward who headed into the net from 6 yards.

Cowie felt a sense of injustice in finding themselves a goal down and took the game to their opponents. Cahill chased down a long ball, robbed the opposing defender of possession and won his team a free kick in a good position. Cowie skipper Matthews fancied his chances from 25 yards but the only thing his free kick threatened was the corner flag.

Moments before half time a short back pass from Matthews was collected by the alert Sportmans attacker who finished easily with Milroy stranded.

The second half started with Thistle in the ascendancy following a stern talking to from manager Taylor and they forced a good chance when a long ball from McManus was miscontrolled by Cahill but fell into the path of Fraser who shot wide from a promising position.

Thistle continued to probe the Sportsman’s defence and forced a number of corners and almost equalised when a netbound header by Rogers was blocked on the line by his own player Matthews.

Thistle were unlucky when a cross from the right evaded the Sportsman’s keeper and landed on the head of Matthews who somehow managed to head over from 3 yards. The Sportsmans keeper then made amends for his earlier error by making two outstanding saves firstly from Fraser and then from a piledriver from Cahill.

With ten minutes remaining frustrations were growing for the Stonehaven side. A good move saw Matthews break clear of the Sportsmans defence and he found himself one on one with the goalkeeper. He rounded the goalkeeper and went down under minimal contact when it looked easier to put the ball into the empty net. The referee correctly adjudged that he had dived and issued a second yellow card to the Cowie skipper.

Cowie continue their quest for league glory with two midweek games but require more ruthlessness in front of goal and better discipline, especially from their senior players.