Bervie’s late, late show to reach cup’s next round

Bervie came from behind on Saturday and scored two very late goals against Echt to progress into the next round of the Raymond Kelly Cup.

The goals and result were the reward for the team pushing all the way to the end and never giving up.

The first half was open and full of attacking football but also mistakes with Bervie giving away possession and free kicks several times midway through the first half resulting in some sustained pressure from Echt.

Bervie had a couple of breaks through Blacklaw with shots from Collie and Turner. Some further hesitation in the Bervie defence let Echt in on goal but they hit the side netting.

The warnings were not heeded and a slack pass in midfield allowed Echt to break down the right and open the scoring on 32 mins with a good finish.

Bervie tried to hit back quickly and Salmond shot wide but it was Echt that scored again on 38 mins with an attack down the right that Bervie failed to clear and allowed a scrappy finish from Echt to double their lead.

Bervie immediately pulled one back from a corner with Salmond rising well to head back across the goal and into the net from a Blacklaw corner.

Bervie could have been level following a free kick when McLaughlan was pulled back. Gordon played a tantalising ball into the box and Boyd’s strong header brought out a great save from the keeper.

Half time Echt 2 Bervie 1

Bervie continued to press after the break with a chance straight away but Collie shot straight at the keeper.

The quality of Bervie’s passing was improving and resulted in a good break down the right and a ball across the box but no one could get on the end of it.

Echt broke up the field and would have been in on goal but for a great tackle in the 18 yard box by Smith.

Bervie continued to press for an equaliser but a combination of good defence and poor shooting the game began to peter out. Bervie kept going and another shot from Blacklaw brought out a great save from the Echt keeper.

Bervie went to three at the back when Boyd was taken off from defence and Wood put on in 80 mins up front to try and push for the equaliser.

As the game approached the 85 mins mark Bervie attacked again and the ball broke to Wood on the edge of the box, who is a left footed player and his right foot shot went about 5 yards but landed at Turner’s feet who turned and fired a great finish from inside the box to

With time running out and Echt rattled Bervie tried to push for the winner and Blacklaw got free on the right but fired wide.

Just when it looked like extra time was beckoning Blacklaw broke free again on the right and fired in a low shot that was deflected in for the winning goal on 90 mins.