Convincing win for Stonehaven

Stonehaven welcomed Superleague newcomers Dufftown to Glenury Park last week in the visitors first visit as a Superleague side.

They could scarcely have made a worse start as Wyness fired home a penalty after just a minute.

Five minutes in and Dufftown’s first chance of the game brought their equaliser. The ball was played wide and the cross in was headed past Stark by Sean McIntosh with aid of a slight deflection.

On 11 minutes McTavish played a good ball into the box but the defence headed clear.

Jordan Reid had a chance five minutes later when he received a long ball but pulled his left foot shot wide of target.

Wyness came agonisingly close to doubling his tally on 19 minutes when he held in a long throw from McTavish and turned his marker in the box but his shot was pushed away brilliantly.

Just a minute later however the hosts found themselves back in front. Following a break upfield the ball was played to Shand who played a cute ball to Jordan Reid who made a great run before squaring to Cormack who made no mistake at the back post.

Armstrong came close on 27 minutes when a corner was cleared to him on the corner of the 18 yard box but after cutting inside his left foot shot curled just wide.

Jordan Reid came close on 29 minutes after the ball was cleared for a corner but he could only flick his shot wide.

The Hive lead was increased on 32 minutes when a ball into the box found McTavish who headed into the far post.

Cormack had a chance on 35 minutes but his effort was blocked with Jordan Reid sending the loose ball wide.

Dufftown broke forward on 38 minutes but Armstrong did well to win the ball and played the ball over the defence into the path of Cormack who took the ball on but shot into the side netting.

Jordan Reid had a chance on 41 minutes after a long ball upfield but he was just unable to get enough on it to make it count. Armstrong had the last chance of the half but he saw his shot held.

Half Time - Stonehaven 3-1 Dufftown

Dufftown started the second half in the ascendancy as they looked to get back into the game. Two minutes into the second half they broke upfield and luckily for The Hive shot over from the angle.

The visitors threatened again on 50 minutes when the ball down the right was played in all too easily forcing a shot which was blocked by the feet of Stark.

Anderson was unlucky on 52 minutes when Armstrong cut the ball back to him but his shot was saved the Dufftown ‘keeper.

Cormack came close two minutes later following a ball over the top which he ran onto but saw his shot pushed away.

Five minutes later and the Hive lead was further increased. Following a break upfield Cormack sent a low cross across goal which saw Jordan Reid make no mistake at the back post.

The visitors were starting to put Hive under pressure but luckily there wasn’t enough of a cutting edge to reduce the deficit.

With just over twenty minutes left Armstrong sent Jordan Reid clear but his shot was pushed away by the ‘keeper.

Cormack and Armstrong played a neat one-two on 74 minutes but the Dufftown defence cleared for corner.

Dufftown did reduce the hosts’ lead on 83 minutes when the ball was played wide and the cross was headed over Stark by Kelvin Main.

Full Time - Stonehaven 4-2 Dufftown

STONEHAVEN: Stark, Robertson, Scully, Shand, McTavish, Steven Reid, Wyness (Schmid 64), Anderson, Jordan Reid (Jonny Cook 78), Cormack, Armstrong

Subs not used: Pyper, Pashley, Knowles