Hive are in seventh heaven!

Hive in action against Deveronside
Hive in action against Deveronside

Stonehaven welcomed Deveronside to Glenury on Saturday for their PMAC Superleague match as they picked up their first win in four games.

It was the visitors who made the better start and with the first attack of the game they found themselves a goal up after just two minutes. The ball was switched from right to left and Thomson cut in and fired a shot into Capstick’s top left corner.

Hive in action against Deveronside

Hive in action against Deveronside

Martin Shand was first to try his luck for the hosts but his volley was held by McCaffrey.

Armstrong came close after 13 minutes when he whipped the ball in and a touch from the ‘keeper cleared the danger.

Jordan Reid was next to threaten just a minute later but his shot was well blocked from six yards out.

It was constant pressure from The Hive at this point and an Armstrong corner was whipped in and only just headed off of the goal line.

Armstrong tried his luck again following a pass from McWilliam but he shot wide.

Despite the home side having the lion’s share of the chances, they almost found themselves 2-0 down on the 26th minute when the ball in from wide on the left resulted in a shot which deflected off of the far post.

Shortly after, the ball was lost by Stonehaven in the middle of the park and Thomson’s run wasn’t closed down but, ultimately, he pulled his shot wide of the post.

Robertson played a ball to the back post which found Armstrong but his shot from a tight angle went across goal and out of play.

Just as it seemed that the visitors would go into the half time break with a slender lead, Jordan Reid had other ideas when after good play between Shand and Armstrong he cut in from the right and ran across the 18-yard box before firing past McCaffrey.

The late first half goal seemed to fire up the Hive and after just three minutes of the restart they were in the lead. An Armstrong free kick played to the back post area found McTavish who made no mistake heading into the net.

Armstrong came close two minutes later and was unlucky not to score when his shot was excellently tipped over for a corner.

The lead was increased when the ball was played into the feet of McWilliam who played a great one two with Jordan Reid and slotted the ball under the advancing McCaffrey.

Less than a minute later, it was 4-1 when Shand did well to win the ball and find Jordan Reid who made no mistake with the finish to get his second of the game.

It was 5-1 on the 58th minute when the ball was played to Jordan Reidwho fired a wonderful strike from fully 25 yards into McCaffrey’s top right hand corner.

Armstrong did brilliantly down the Hive left and sent a cross low across the goal but Bellu was just unable to get on end of it at the back post.

With 78 minutes gone, the visitors found themselves a man down and Hive had the chance to increase the deficit from the penalty spot. Robertson stepped up to send the ball low to McCaffrey’s left to make it 6-1.

Deveronside continue to push to get themselves a goal and bring themselves back into the game and came close on the 82nd minute but Low did well to clear.

The numerical advantage was levelled out when McWilliam saw red for his second bookable offence.

In the last minute, substitute Jonny Cook did well down the Hive left and unselfishly squared for Taylor who marked his return from his loan to Kinnoull by tapping in at the back post.

STONEHAVEN: Capstick, Low, Mathieson, McTavish, Steven Reid, McWilliam, Robertson, Shand(Sulkevicius), Jordan Reid(Taylor), Bellu(Cook), Armstrong. Subs not used: Goate, Watt