Hive crash out at Grantown

Stonehaven welcomed newcomers to the Juniors, Grantown, to Glenury on Saturday in the Domino’s Pizza North Regional Cup Second Round.

Stoney looked to make amends for last week’s defeat at Forfar West End.

The Hive should really have taken the lead when a ball to the back post was just missed by the head of Rattray.

Grantown had started the game well and were enjoying a lot of possession but had yet to trouble Capstick.

The hosts had another chance with 17 minutes on the clock. McTavish cut inside and played to Anderson on the edge of the area who in turn laid to Taylor but his shot on his weaker right foot went wide of target.

Grantown forced a couple of corners just after the half hour mark as they continued to control the game.

The opening goal came soon after and it was no great surprise that it was the visitors who took the lead. The ball was played inside to the edge of the penalty area and Capstick did well to save the initial shot however Ingram was left unmarked and rolled the rebound into the net.

Grantown came close again a minute later but the ball in was headed wide of the far post. 

The Hive forced a corner on 37 minutes and the ball fell out to the edge of six- yard box but there was nobody there to take advantage of the chance.

Half Time: Stonehaven 0, Grantown 1

The visitors lead was nearly doubled just a minute into the second half after the ball was lost by Reid however following a break upfield the shot was flashed across goal.

The Hive were next to threaten a minute later with two chances in the space of a minute. Armstrong sent an inviting cross in which was only just tipped out for a corner which came back off of the crossbar and was cleared.

Anderson came close on 55 minutes when he got on the end of a ball into the box but his shot was blocked by the onrushing keeper and the danger was again well cleared.

Armstrong played a great deep cross two minutes later and Stewart made a bursting run to get on the end of it and only a touch from the ‘keeper kept the visitors in front.

With 10 minutes left Jonny Cook tried his luck from inside the area but his shot was held.

The Hive threw everything at the visitors in the final period but were unable to find an equaliser and Grantown claimed a deserved victory to seal their place in the quarter finals.

STONEHAVEN: Capstick, Low (Matthew Cook), McTavish, Rattray, Reid, Anderson, Bellu, Robertson, Taylor (Cormack), Stewart (Jonny Cook), Armstrong. Subs not used: Goate, Knowles