Hive dumped out of the Cup following defeat at Maud

Cormack opener
Cormack opener

Stonehaven travelled to Pleasure Park to take on Maud in the Second Round of the Domino’s Pizza North Regional Cup.

The visitors started brightly and in the first minute McWilliam took the ball on a run and his ball across fell to Pashley but his shot was held by Fyfe.

On 10 minutes however the ball fell to Cormack who turned his man and fired high into the net to give the visitors the lead.

With 17 minutes gone Fyfe denied Cook a second for The Hive when he produced a fantastic save from his far post header.

The home side started to come into the game and on 24 minutes found themselves level. A header by Smart from a Ritchie corner was parried by Gavin Robertson into the path of the unmarked Simpson who headed home.

On 40 minutes the ball was played to the back post where Pashley was unable to get enough on it to find the back of the net.

On the stroke of half time the home side were awarded a fortuitous penalty when Dunbar was judged to have fouled Simpson. Bruce stepped up and made no mistake to give Maud a 2-1 half time lead.

Maud started the second half brightly and Thomson saw his shot held on 47 minutes.

The Hive were given a numerical advantage on 57 minutes when Thomson was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Five minutes later however and they were given a two-goal cushion.

Simpson tried his luck and the rebound wasn’t cleared by Shand allowing Ritchie a shot on goal however despite being equal to it Robertson cleared only as far as Morrice who was first to react to fire home.

On 63 minutes a Hive free kick was blocked and the ball fell to McWilliam but again the home defence did enough to clear the ball away to safety.

With 20 minutes to go Cook found Wyness whose shot was blocked and fell to Armstrong who saw his cross cleared for a corner.

Two minutes later and only a goal line clearance prevented a fourth for the hosts.

The ball was lost down the Hive right before the ball in was tipped wide by Gavin Robertson.

The following ball in came back off the crossbar before being cleared to safety.

A minute later a Hive break saw Stewart’s good run and low cross fall to Cormack but he could only fire over.