Hive to the four with win at Cruden Bay

Hive score a penalty
Hive score a penalty

Stonehaven made the trip to Watson Park on Saturday to face a Cruden Bay side embroiled in a relegation battle while also looking to take the three points to end a run of three PMAC Superleague games without a win.

The Hive had the first chance after just a minute when the ball found Cormack at the back post but his header was saved and the rebound cleared.

Hive smashed Cruden Bay 4-0

Hive smashed Cruden Bay 4-0

Straight away the home side went on the counter attack and Rattray did well to block a shot on the edge of the penalty area.

Capstick was called into action on 8 minutes after the ball was lost in the middle of the park and he did well to push away a shot from the edge of the penalty area and Rattray cleared the danger.

The visitors found themselves in front on 15 minutes from the penalty spot. A Hive free kick rebounded to McWilliam whose shot was blocked and fell into the path of Workman who was brought down allowing ROBERTSON to step up and send the ‘keeper the wrong to open the scoring.

Anderson was next to try his luck but his left foot shot flew over the crossbar on 18 minutes.

Cruden Bay came close on 28 minutes when the ball was played into the Hive box but the shot was cleared from a few yards out.

Armstrong had a great chance to double the Hive lead on the half hour when he was played clean through but the ball bobbled up horribly as he was about to apply the finish.

Sulkevicius played a cute ball through into the path of Workman on 33 minutes however the Hive striker was unable to get on end of it.

Armstrong came close to scoring on 36 minutes when Sulkevicius was again involved as his low cross saw the slightest touch from the Hive striker take it wide of the far post.

It was Armstrong and Sulkevicius involved yet again on 39 minutes when the Lithuanian sent in a great cross but it was headed wide of target at the val cross headed wide at the front post.

Cormack had a chance on 43 minutes but could only send his shot over the bar.

A long throw from McTavish on 44 minutes saw the ball headed across goal but there were no takers and the sides went in at the break with The Hive a goal to the good.

Stonehaven came out in the second half looking to increase their lead and within a minute had done just that. A ball into the box from Rattray was headed on by McTavish and found ARMSTRONG who turned his man and found the back of the net.

The hosts looked to have pulled a goal back on 52 minutes when the ball was lost in midfield and was all too easily finished but referee Pirie ruled the goal out for offside.

Anderson did well on 57 to find McWilliam but he could only sidefoot over the bar from the edge of the penalty area.

Good play down the Cruden Bay left a minute later saw Robertson try his luck but his shot was blocked.

Sulkevicius was next to threaten on 61 minutes after being set up by Cormack but his left foot shot flashed wide of goal.

The lead was increased on 75 minutes, Rattray saw his free kick from the edge of the area saved by the legs of the ‘keeper but MCWILLIAM was on hand to turn it over the line.

Armstrong came close again on 77 minutes when a great ball in fell to him but he saw his shot held when it seemed easier to score.

Just two minutes later and the visitors were given the chance to further increase their lead when a penalty was awarded for a foul on McWilliam.

ROBERTSON stepped up and found the bottom corner to give The Hive a four goal cushion.

STONEHAVEN: Capstick, Robertson, Low, Rattray, McTavish, Anderson, Cormack (Pyper 75), Sulkevicius, Armstrong (Stewart 85), Workman (Shand 68), McWilliam

Subs not used: Goate, Reid