Johnshaven defeatTuriff in grand battle of north and south

Share this article

It was the battle of north versus south as the association’s two furthest apart teams in a geographical sense faced each other for the first fixture of the New Year.

Johnshaven failed to name a full squad for the second game in a row and travelled with just 12 players. They did,, however welcome back Tringham, Slavin and Dundas who were unavailable the previous week.

Turriff made the better start to the match and scored in just the third minute. After a striker came short to pick up a loose ball in midfield, he found a team mate with a through-ball and no mistake was made in the finish as he gave keeper Findlater no chance. 1-0.

Johner immediately brushed themselves down and sought out an equaliser, and it didn’t take long before they had found one. A Paton corner was met by Scott and, after his header was initially blocked, the ball landed to Andrew Tringham who made no mistake in finding the net from six yards 1-1

The away team were playing some attractive football at this stage and, after MacLaren was fouled from 30 yards out, Scott whipped in a deep free kick that found R. Blease. The centre midfielder appeared to have his jersey tugged and lost control of the ball, but as the referee played the advantage and Scott Beedie siezed his opportunity as he won the ball and blasted it into the top corner to give the away team the lead 1-2

Tringham had a chance to give the away team a cushion after a superb ball over the top from Slavin, but as he rounded the keeper he took it just a little bit too wide and the keeper managed to recover to block the shot which appeared to be going into the net.

It was all the away team now and Beedie was unlucky not to double his personal tally when his effort from outside the box came back off the post.

Keeper Findlater was called into action in the 30th minute after a great counter move from Turriff found their striker one on one with the big shot stopper, but the keeper made himself big when the shot came and thwarted the effort out for a corner which came to nothing.

In the 38th minute, Johner did get the two-goal cushion they were seeking before the break. A terrific through ball from Paton to Lawrence Slavin was matched even better by the finish from the energetic full back as he unleashed a ferocious shot into the roof of the net from the tightest of angles to score his first ever goal for the club.

Johnshaven made sure of the three points very early doors into the second half. Ross Blease stepped up to take a free kick from just a couple of yards outside the box, and his effort gave the home keeper absolutely no chance as it sailed into the top right hand corner 1-4.

Both team created very little in the remainder of the half, as the away team frustrated the home team with some great possession football. Beedie did have a double chance but both his strikes were hit firmly at the keeper.

Tringham was perhaps unfortunate not to win a penalty as he rounded a keeper and ended up on the deck.

Dundas replaced Bruce in the 72nd minute.

Turriff got a late consolation goal in the 90th minute after a fantastic finish from their winger from just inside the box found the roof of the net.

Final Score 2-4

Man of the match- Lee Paton

Team: Kieran Findlater, Kevin Bruce (Leon Dundas),Lawrence Slavin, Steven Scott, Jack Dalgarno, Ross Blease, Lee Paton, Nayland MacLaren, Andrew Tringham, Scott Beedie & Steven Smith