Late goals sting Hive

Johnny Cook involved in a scramble
Johnny Cook involved in a scramble

Stonehaven welcomed East Region Superleague side Broughty Athletic to Glenury Park on Saturday in the GA Engineering Inter Regional Cup 3rd Round.

The two sides had met in the Scottish Junior Cup 2nd Round in October 2014, with the visitors running out 2-1 winners so The Hive were looking to exact some revenge to secure their place in the quarter final against Forfar West End.

Armstrong levelling for Hive

Armstrong levelling for Hive

Constant rain after the earlier inspection had left the Glenury Park surface extremely heavy, with referee Arthur Murphy having to make a very late call to deem the pitch playable despite concerns from both sets of management.

The hosts started slowly with Broughty playing well as they pressed their hosts and controlled the game in terms of chances and play. Kevin Buchan showed his intentions as early as the fourth minute when his left footed shot went the wrong side of the post after being put through by Grant Lawson. Two minutes later Lawson tested Robertson and he saved well again. Within a minute Dougie Cameron tried his luck from the left, but again his effort was saved as was the rebound effort from Lawson.

The opening goal did come soon after and it was no great surprise that it went to 
the visitors.

On 9 minutes Stewart McConnachie cut inside from the Hive left and his shot from just inside the box found the back of the net with the aid of a considerable deflection off of Lewis Dunbar which took it past Gavin Robertson.

Shand blocked

Shand blocked

With just over a quarter of an hour gone Broughty switched the ball to the right but the low cross was cleared for a corner.

Just over a minute later a carbon copy saw the ball played into the front post but 
Robertson held onto it.

A minute later and The Hive had a chance when the ball fell to Jordan Reid but he was just unable to get enough on it and the ball was cleared.

The equaliser came on 22 minutes however. After another Broughty chance, Buchan’s header at the back post was saved by Robertson and The Hive broke downfield and the ball fell to ARMSTRONG who cut inside and beat two men and rolled his right footed effort low into the far post.

The visitors continued to fashion chances with McClellan cutting in from the left but shooting over the bar. Paul Lunan also tried his luck from 25 yards with it skimming the outside of the post. Kevin Buchan again had another effort saved, as did Jamie Winter 
who shot wide.

The Hive broke forward on the half hour and McWilliam did well to get the ball to Shand whose cross almost found head of Jordan Reid but for a great fingertip away by Ross at the back post, the ball back was cleared to safety.

Two minutes later a ball over the top caught out Armstrong and McTavish but fortunately the shot was pulled 
wide of target.

Adam McWilliam did well on 35 minutes and despite looking as if he had been fouled he held on but sent his shot wide.

Five minutes before half time Shand had a chance when the ball in was headed down and his shot was blocked and cleared by the 
Broughty defence.

McWilliam did well again on 43 minutes when beat his man and was seemingly fouled but laid to Shand whose shot was pushed away.

Half Time - Stonehaven 1 Broughty Athletic 1

Cook had the first Hive chance of the half when he latched onto a ball over the top but saw his shot cleared for a corner.

Winter came close for the visitors on 52 minutes but his low free kick from the edge of the area was held by Robertson.

Three minutes later, after a Hive free kick was cleared upfield Lunan sent his shot wide of goal. The visitors found themselves in front again on 57 minutes when Buchan picked the ball up on the left and sent his cross-come-shot over the head of Robertson and into the top corner of the net.

Buchan had a chance to double his tally two minutes later but his effort was saved, with no takers for the rebound.

On 64 minutes the ball was played to Dunbar who lost his footing due to the pitch conditions and the was played to Winter but he sent his chipped effort wide.

McConnachie’s corner on 67 minutes found Winter 25 yards out but his volley was held by Robertson.

A minute later and good work from Armstrong saw him cross for Jordan Reid at the back post but his header was 
held by Ross.

The equaliser came on 72 minutes. Jamie McCunnie lost possession deep inside Broughty’s half and it was picked up by ARMSTRONG who cut inside and fired low into the corner of the net.

Broughty had the chance to re-take the lead on 73 minutes following a debatable foul by McTavish however Buchan’s penalty hit the post with the aid of a touch from Robertson.

The visitors were close to regaining the lead on 76 minutes when McConnachie went on a good run but his shot curled wide of the far post.

The Hive goal was coming under increasing threat and on 82 minutes they fell behind again. The ball was lost corner of the 18 yard box and Grant Lawson evaded his markers and stabbed low past Robertson into the corner of the net.

The game was all but over on 87 minutes when the ball was lost down the Hive right and Paul Lunan’s cross after a storming run found Kevin Buchan unmarked who had the simple task of slotting home the fourth goal.

The Hive had the last chance of the tie when the ball was played over the top and found Cormack but he could only fire his shot wide of the near post.

Full Time - Stonehaven 2 Broughty Athletic 4

STONEHAVEN: Gavin Robertson, Dunbar, McWilliam, Stephen Robertson, McTavish (Pashley 80), Scully, Shand, Anderson (Steven Reid 51), Jordan Reid, Cook (Cormack 60), Armstrong

Subs not used: Smith, Stark