Late penalty denies Hive crucial point

Hive and Culter had a 7 goal thriller at the weekend
Hive and Culter had a 7 goal thriller at the weekend

Stonehaven welcomed current champions Culter to Glenury on Saturday in the PMAC Superleague as they looked to stay in the top three.

The Hive started well and had a great chance in the first minute when the ball was played wide to McWilliam whose low cross fell into the path of Cook but he could only send his shot wide of target.

After 10 minutes, however, the home side did take the lead when a ball wide to McWilliam saw him cut inside past two Culter players before firing past Craig Reid in goal.

The lead didn’t last long, however, and after 13 minutes Culter drew level. Richard Shand latched onto Cromar’s defence splitting pass and coolly slotted the ball past Stark

Leith had a chance shortly after but after taking the ball away from Stark he lost his footing and the chance was gone despite claims 
for a penalty.

Cook came close again on when the ball fell to him in the six-yard box and he turned and shot but his crashed off the bar.

The visitors had the ball in the net following a free kick, but following consultation with his linesman the goal was ruled out for offside.

With 24 minutes gone, Armstrong played the ball into the box and it found Cook who could only loft l over from six yards out.

The Hive were given a numerical advantage on the half hour when Culter were reduced to 10 men. Following an extremely rash tackle from McArthur which resulted in the full back receiving a yellow, Richard Shand was shown a straight red for an off-the-ball incident.

McKimmie did well shortly after but fired wide of the near post.

Culter took the lead on the 39th minute when the ball was lost down The Hive right and Gordon played the ball into the path of Leith who slotted under Stark.

Just on half time, McArthur headed just wide from a Cromar free kick

New signing, Jordan Reid, replaced goalscorer Adam McWilliam at half time.

Leith had a chance at the start of the second half when he did well to cut inside but his shot was held by Stark.

A minute later, a ball out to Cook saw him put in a great ball which fell to Jordan Reid who ran across the six yard box but couldn’t quite get
 a shot away.

Culter came within inches of increasing their lead a minute later when the ball was lost in the corner on the Hive right, but the cross in was missed by the head of Gordon with the goal at his mercy.

Sulkevicius came close after 51 minutes when his shot was pushed away by Reid and the cut back was cleared.

Jordan Reid did well down the Culter left and his cross was cleared at the back post.

On the hour, Armstrong came close when his cross-shot was tipped wide 
for a corner.

Shand was next to try his luck and Reid, in the Culter goal, did well to tip his free kick wide.

The Hive got themselves level in the 76th minute when a corner from the right found the head of McTavishwho bulleted past Reid.

Bellu did well two minutes later when he took the ball on a run and found Jordan Reid but he was unable to finish and the ball was cleared.

Less than a minute later, however, The Hive took the lead.

The ball was played to Jordan Reid whose initial shot was pushed out and it fell to Reid again who then laid to Shand who fired home.

With just a few minutes remaining, an altercation at the Stonehaven dugout saw Allan Youngson receive a straight red card and Culter physio Keith Duncan also being sent away from the touchline.

Into added time and the visitors won a corner on the Hive left and the ball in from Shaun Taylor was met by the head of namesake 
Michael Taylor who levelled the scores.

There was still time for Culter to win the game and, following a foul on Michael Taylor, Ian Leith was the one to send his spot kick low to Stark’s right to give the Crombie Park side all three points.

Stonehaven: Stark, Pyper, Mathieson, Reid, McTavish, Šulkevičius, McWilliam(Jordan Reid), Shand, Cook, Bellu, Armstrong(Anderson)

Subs not used: Low, Stephen, Robertson