Luthermuir WFC lose to Aberdeen heading here

Luthermuir WFC
Luthermuir WFC



Luthermuir WFC travelled to Balgownie knowing that this would be a hard afternoon against a very good passing Aberdeen Reserves.

With the game being filmed for some of the girls getting an opportunity to apply for a scholarship to the USA, Luthermuir knew this would be a tough 90 minutes ahead.

Aberdeen started the brighter and within three minutes was 1-0 up, a great ball split the Luthermuir defence open and as the girl raced in on goal she coolly slotted it home by Charles.

Aberdeen were pinning Luthermuir back and continued to pass the ball around but the defence stayed strong when they needed to be. Luthermuir created their first real chance when Hendry took a free kick that just sailed by everyone and past the post.

Aberdeen doubled their lead when a great ball down the right had the winger racing to the by-line, as she crossed to the back post the attacker rose above Mowatt and headed home for 2-0.

Luthermuir were struggling to get their foot on the ball and Aberdeen was pressing for more goals.

A great ball through the middle had Hendry and Middleton scrambling to clear but the Aberdeen attacker nicked it away and she fired it goal wards but Charles saved well.

Within two minutes it was 3-0 when a harmless cross was not cleared by Hendry or Middleton and the attacker was first to react and fire home with Charles helpless.

Luthermuir got on the score sheet when Hendry fired a free kick over the back line, Brough raced clear and, as the keeper advanced, she coolly lobbed from 10 yards for 3-1.

Luthermuir then started to press the home side and Murison was taken down just outside the box out on the right. Hendry fired over the free kick and Boyack just poked it wide.

As the half was drawing to a close a mix up in the back line had Luthermuir failing to clear the ball, w Charles then kicked it clear but it ricocheted off the attacker’s back and fell into the goal for 4-1.

HT 4-1

Luthermuir started the second half looking to get back in the game but Aberdeen created the first chance. A great ball down the middle had the attacker getting clear and, as she fired it goalwards, Charles made a great save.

Over the next 10 minutes Aberdeen continued to dominate the game and passed the ball about well but failed to get past Charles who was in a determined mood to keep a clean sheet in the second half.

A great one two between the midfield created a chance 25 yards out but her shot was held well by Charles. On the 63rd minute, a corner to Aberdeen was whipped over and Charles punched it clear but the attacker collided with her and the game was stopped for five minutes for treatment to both players.

Charles was a little shaken but continued in goal and then managed to pull off a string of saves to keep the score line at 4-1.

On the 71st minute, the ball was going for a corner and, as Charles raced to the byeline to collect, the referee deemed this to be a pass back, Godsall reacted by having words with the referee who then issued a red card.The free kick 10 yards from the line was fired to the side of the goal.

With Aberdeen having a one man advantage, Luthermuir failed to get a hold of the ball and continued to defend deep in their own half andCharles made some good saves to prevent the score line being higher. The final chance of the game came when Lownie played the ball in to the middle of the park and Calder raced on to it and rifled the ball into the top corner from the edge of the box to make it 4-2.

Player of the match: Rosie Charles.

Match ball sponsor: Scots Corner, Luthermuir

Luthermuir - Charles, Murray, Godsall, Middleton, Hendry, Mowatt, Calder, Boyack, Brough, Murison, Lownie – Subs: Bruce