Reid the hero as Stonehaven see off Dee

Hive saw off Dee with two second half goals
Hive saw off Dee with two second half goals

Stonehaven travelled to Spain Park to take on Banks o’ Dee in the top of the table Superleague clash on Saturday.

The game kicked off in sunny conditions, with the Spain Park 3G surface giving players no excuses for underfoot conditions.

A low free kick from Gray on 25 minutes very nearly caught out the Dee defence but Shearer held at the second attempt.

On the half hour mark Shand’s ball in found Jordan Reid who laid to Armstrong before his shot was blocked for a corner.

Stewart came close again on 36 minutes when a ball into the Hive box saw his header gathered by Stark.

Buchanan came close a minute later when the ball was played through the Hive defence all too easily but his shot was blocked by the feet of Stark.

Half time – Banks o’ Dee 0 Stonehaven 0

The hosts started the second half looking to keep up the pressure and force an opener and on 50 minutes Taylor picked the ball up all too easily but could only send his shot wide.

With just over an hour gone it was the visitors who took the lead. The ball was picked up just inside the Dee half by JORDAN REID and he cut inside before beating three men and firing low into the corner of the net.

With 67 minutes gone the ball found its way to Jordan Reid but Shearer blocked his shot to deny him from doubling his tally.

The hosts came close on 70 minutes when Stark cleared a cross for a corner before the ball was headed wide.

The Hive came agonisingly close to doubling their lead just a minute later.

A corner from the right saw Cormack head goalwards but Shearer just managed to claw it away.

With 10 minutes to go Hive grabbed the all-important second goal.

A long diagonal ball from Gray wasn’t properly dealt with by Duguid and JORDAN REID gambled and beat the ‘keeper to the ball and stabbed home to the delight of the visiting supporters.

The hosts kept up the pressure as they looked to get back into the game but the Hive defence held firm.

Cormack came close to ending the game as a contest on 85 minutes but his shot came crashing back off of Shearer’s near post.

STONEHAVEN: Stark, Steven Reid, Gray, McWilliam (Anderson 69 minutes), McTavish, Pyper, Shand, Jordan Reid (Schmid 83 minutes), Wyness, Cormack, Armstrong

Subs not used: Smith, Dunbar, Gavin Robertson