Shand seals win for Hive

Shand's winner for Hive
Shand's winner for Hive

Stonehaven welcomed New Elgin to Glenury on Saturday as they looked to bounce back from last week’s disappointing home defeat to Maud.

The Hive had the first chance of the game on 6 minutes when the ball found McWilliam but his shot was pushed away from yards out.

With 21 minutes gone Sulkevicius had a great chance when ran onto a loose ball and cut inside the defender but could only send his shot over.

The visitors were next to threaten on 28 minutes when Strathdee saw his shot pushed out by Capstick and McTavish cleared the danger.

Sulkevicius had another chance on 38 minutes following a Hive break upfield but again he could only send his shot over the crossbar.

McWilliam had the last chance of the half in the last minute but his shot was pushed wide by Braidwood in the visitors goal.

Half Time - Stonehaven 0 v 0 New Elgin

Anderson had a great chance with the first attack of the second half. Pyper played a great diagonal ball which fell invitingly but Anderson could only send his header just wide of goal.

New Elgin had the next chance when Shanks did well to get the ball down the Hive right but fortunately for the hosts there was nobody able to take advantage in the middle.

The opening goal came on 67 minutes and a scrappy one it was at that. McWilliam was fouled on the Hive left and Sulkevicius played a free kick to the back post which was headed goalwards by McTavish but bundled over the line by SHAND.

Anderson came close on 70 minutes when a ball from the right fell into his path but his shot from the edge of the 6 yard box was parried and cleared away.

Shand came close to making it 2-0 two minutes later when Taylor played a ball into his path but a great saving tackle thwarted the Hive striker.

Sulkevicius was next to try his luck but Braidwood was equal to his powerful shot.

McTavish came close on 85 minutes when a ball to the back post was headed down but the big centre half could only send his shot over 
the crossbar.

With the slender advantage there was always a chance that the hosts could snatch an equaliser and on 90 minutes they nearly did just that. Following a break upfield the ball fell to Shanks and he fired a powerful effort but Capstick did well to make the save and hand his side the points.

STONEHAVEN: Capstick, Goate, Robertson, Rattray, McTavish, Sulkevicius, Pyper (Cook), Anderson, Cormack (Shand), Stewart (Taylor), McWilliam

Sub not used: Low

There are still places available on the bus for Saturday’s PMAC Superleague game away to Inverness, bus leaves from outside The Market Bar at 9am. Anyone interested can phone 07738 293966.

There will be a bus for the McLeman Cup game away to Inverness City on Saturday April 4. The bus will leave from outside The Market Bar at 9am and anyone interested should also contact 
the club.