Shoot-out win for Luther

Luthermuir 2 Bervie 2 (aet)

(Luthermuir won 4-3 on penalties)

Luthermuir took on local rivals Bervie in the North of Scotland Cup second round on Saturday and finally squeezed through in a penalty shoot-out.

It was Caley who created the first chance in four minutes McKenzie fired a fierce ball across goal that was cleared at the back post by Darar.

Luthermuir had their first chance in ten minutes when a free kick from Cruickshank went just past the post.

From the goal kick Bervie broke and Cerretti shot just over.

In 16 minutes Ellis whipped in a free-kick which was headed clear at the back post as Anderson tried to connect.

Four minutes later a kick from keeper Duncan fell to Slesser who ran at goal and shot wide.

Luthermuir were out of luck in 22 minutes. Morrison found Anderson who rounded the keeper and his shot from an acute angle hit the post and stayed out.

Bervie took the lead in 26 minutes. Following a corner, Smith crossed to Collie and he laid the ball off for Fraser Cerretti to shoot high into the net from the edge of the box.

Luthermuir hit back and in 35 minutes a free kick from Ellis was flicked past the keeper by Greig only for Robertson to clear off the line.

Four minutes from half-time a Greig cross to the back post was headed just wide by Slesser.

The home side were level in 48 minutes. Greig ran down the wing and laid a pass for Murdoch Anderson who fired a fierce low shot through the keeper’s legs.

Luthermuir continued to stretch their opponents and in 60 minutess Anderson headed wide.

Another great opportunity fell to Anderson when Greig lofted a ball over the tiring back line and Anderson pulled his shot just wide.

Five minutes from time Anderson raced away and his low cross was just inches away from Greig before Duncan managed to gather.

The final chance of the 90 minutes came when Greig set up Ellis and his shot was cleared off the line.

Luthermuir went in front for the first time in 94 minutes. Greig crossed to Slesser and his shot was deflected to Cruickshank 12 yards out and he volleyed into the corner of the net.

Caley hit back and forced a corner and Anderson had a header brilliantly tipped over by Wands.

Just on half-time a Cruickshank free-kick was saved by the keeper.

In 113 minutes Slesser rifled in a shot from 20 yards which was brilliantly tipped round the post by Duncan. From the corner, Slesser crossed for Cruickshank to head just over.

Caley equalised with five minutes left. Good work got the ball to Liam Anderson and he shot home.

It was on to the penalty shoot-out with Bervie shooting first. Cerretti, Smith and Anderson scored with their first three kicks and Anderson and Ellis did likewise for Luthermuir, then Cruickshank had the third Luthermuir kick saved by Duncan to give Bervie the advantage.

Mennie out his kick wide and Robertson made it 3-3. McKenzie had his kick saved by John Wands and it was left to Ewan Slesser to step up and score to put Luthermuir into the next round.