Stark hero in shootout win for Hive

editorial image

Stonehaven were on their travels on Saturday as they made the trip to Uniconn Park to take on Dyce Juniors in the PMAC Group McLeman Cup and needed a penalty shootout to settle the tie.

Dyce Juniors are leading a nomadic existence until work is completed on their flood ravaged Ian Mair Park facilities and were using the ground of fellow Superleague side Hermes.

On a heavy pitch, similar to last week, the hosts were forcing early pressure on heavy pitch forcing early corners and on 4 minutes the ball wasn’t properly cleared and fell to Mark Bartlet on the edge of the penalty area and his left foot shot found the net.

The lead lasted all of three minutes as Wyness did well to slip in CORMACK who rounded Horne and slotted home with aid of a deflection from Hutchison.

Stewart did well for The Hive on 28 minutes when he took the ball on a run and slipped it to Cormack who was just unable to get cut the ball back and the defence cleared.

With just over five minutes of the half remaining Dyce regained the lead. The ball was played wide to Lombardi who cut in and found Steven Bartlet before laying into the path of Mark Bartlet who fired low into the bottom corner.

Just two minutes before the half time whistle the Hive defence was caught out and Pyper fouled Steven Bartlet on the edge of the penalty area, luckily with Dunbar covering resulting in a booking as opposed to a straight red card.

Morrice stepped up to take the free kick and curled an excellent effort into the top corner giving Stark no chance.

Half Time - Dyce Juniors 3 Stonehaven 1

Stonehaven came out for the second half with the bit between their teeth and within a minute of the restart had reduced the deficit. Cormack played in a cross which was cleared for a corner. His set piece found the unmarked SHAND who headed home at the back post.

The visitors were soon at a numerical advantage when Jamie McAllister was shown a straight red card on 54 minutes for raising his hands in an off the ball incident with Pyper.

On the hour Dyce broke upfield but Pyper did well to make up ground to clear the danger.

Barclay did well down the Hive right on 64 minutes after possession was lost but Stark was equal to his effort. Wyness came close on 70 minutes following a Hive break. The ball was played down the Dyce left but despite getting on the end of McWilliam’s cross he was unable to beat Horne at the front post.

Three minutes later however the scores were level. McWilliam went on a great run before being brought down by Clayton. WYNESS stepped up to fire low past Horne for his 20th of the season to make it 3-3.

On 84 minutes good short play by the hosts on the left saw the ball played through Mark Bartlet but the Hive defence cleared the danger.

Two minutes later The Hive broke upfield but McWilliam saw his cross cut out at the front post for a corner.

With just a minute left McWilliam was again fouled just inside the penalty area to give Wyness the chance to seal the visitors place in the quarter final. This time Horne was equal to his effort and the match went to a penalty shootout.

Full Time - Dyce Juniors 3 Stonehaven 3

The Hive went first with Cormack sending his effort wide of target, however Fraser Stark saved from Jordan Morrice.

Wyness stepped up to take the second spot kick however his effort was straight at Horne. Mark Bartlet stepped up and made no mistake to put Dyce in front.

Adam McWilliam was next up for The Hive and he found the net, as did Dyce’s Magnus Barclay.

Scott Pyper stepped up and finished emphatically before Steven Bartlet followed up but finding the back of the net.

Stephen Robertson scored for the visitors before former Hive player Grant Moorhouse saw his attempt saved by Stark.

In the first spot kick of sudden death, Martin Shand stepped up and fired home before Stark made a fantastic save to deny Tom Yeats and seal a quarter final place.

STONEHAVEN - Stark, Dunbar, Pashley, McWilliam, Schmid, Pyper, Shand, Robertson, Wyness, Cormack, Stewart (McTavish 45), McTavish, Smith (Pashley 66), Cook, Jordan Reid, Knowles.