Stonehaven Thistle Win Johnston Rose Bowl

editorial image

All week the weather forecast had been indicating that this match would need to be postponed.

However, come the morning of the match, nothing but blue skies graced Duthie Park with heavy rain being forecast to start between 6 and 7pm.

The toss was won by AGSFP’s captain, who decided to put STCC into bat. On what was looking like a flat wicket and clear skies, the advantage seemingly with the batting team, was it going to be a mistake not batting first having won the toss?

Two of Thistles more junior players were sent in to open the batting, O.Plummer and J.Law. It wasn’t until the 10 th over where a mix up running between the wickets saw the first wicket go down, J.Law for 9. Plummer was looking steady at the crease until he was bowled for 30 just a few overs later.

Thistle currently having 56 on the board after 13 over were looking to dominate the opposition, the captain now at the crease now looking to keep things rolling with D. Wathern.

The score steadily ticking over, mainly due to the excessive amount of wides being bowled by AGSFP. D. Wathern was shortly bowled for 11 in the 16 th over, shortly followed by D.Long Snr for 3 in the 18 th over. STCC now 80 for 4 after 18 over, looking solid, but two quick wickets have slowed the progression down. R. Devlin and A. Wilson at the crease, facing some tricky bowling from A. Haider turning it every which way.

Thistle now into three figures R. Devlin trapped LBW by Haider for 19, but heading in the right direction and the score increasing at a rapid rate, the decision to have put STCC into bat is now looking to be the wrong one! P. Law and A. Wilson get the score up to 161 in the following 12 overs before Law was caught off a loose shot for 24. With only 2 overs to go, N. King was promoted up the order to get some quick runs before the end of the innings.

That decision looked to be the right one adding and extra 20 runs to the score between them both in the last 12 balls. 181 for 6 is an impressive score to have posted, but very much aided by some very ill-disciplined bowling gifting 52 extras.

Following a short interval between innings, the sky starts to cloud over, creating better environmental conditions for bowling.

In just the 2 nd over, D. Wathern strikes with the first wicket. Shortly after, N. King joins the party with a wicket of his own.

After 10 overs, AGSFP are 20 runs behind where Thistle were at the same point. King strikes again in his 6 th over to break the partnership that seemed steady. A double change to the bowling attack with R. Devlin and A. Wilson taking over.

Into his third over, R. Devlin gets his first wicket and takes another in the following over. A. Wilson bowling tight at the other end, but without the same success. O. Plummer gets brought into the attack instead of Wilson and takes a wicket with just his 4 th ball. Thistle looking to have broken the back of AGSFP batting line up, the two openers are brought back on the try and finish off the innings in dramatic style.

Between King and Wathern, it only takes them one over each to take the final four wickets. King ends up with 3-18 and Wathern 4-24. AGSFP are bowled out for 106 in the 30 th over. Thistle win the Johnston Rose Bowl Cup with 10 overs spare and by 75 runs. Thankfully it all ended there, the heavens opened just minutes later which would have surely brought the game to an abrupt end forcing a re-match.

An emphatic win for STCC brings the season to a close on a positive note for the club. Lets just hope its not going to be another 8 years before the next piece of silverware.