Stoney edges a win after end-to-end match

Stonehaven 4

Banchory St.Ternan 3

The wet conditions at Glenury Park, Stonehaven, provided a seven goal thriller with the PMAC Superleague table toppers.

Early pressure saw Scott Davie’s flick from an Andy Close cross blocked and the wee striker was unlucky moments later. But it was Stonehaven who took the lead with only four minutes gone when, from a move down the right, the ball fell to Wilson who was given too much room to turn and hit a low, well-struck shot into the corner of the net.

Ryan Whelan pushed forward from midfield and made an opening but his square ball was easily saved by Stonehaven’s Capstick.

Banchory continued to press forward and had two attempts blocked inside the box. At the other end, Martin Shand’s header from a corner glanced off the bar.

It was end to end stuff in the pouring rain and on the 29th minute the home side increased their lead when two failed tackles allowed Sulkevicius to score.

Davie went close with a volley after good work from Ben McGregor, but after 38 minutes he had more luck when he turned his marker to shoot home from 10 yards. Right from the kick off, Saints attacked again but needlessly gave away possession with Stonehaven taking full advantage for Munro to thread a ball to Shand in what looked like an offside position, but the striker found the net - beating Thouless.

A scramble in the Saints’ penalty area was finally cleared as Stoney looked for a fourth and it came on the 43rd minutes when, from a move down the left, Thouless palmed away a fierce drive only for Sulkevicius to drive the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

Banchory were 4-1 down at half time, and whatever was said in the dressing room seemed to work as the game was brought back to life with two quick goals. First on the 49th minute when Jack Henderson sent McGregor free who cheekily flicked the ball over Capstick to make it 4-2. A minute later, Henderson went from provider to scorer when he beat the offside trap and calmly found the target.

Two minutes later, Whelan had a chance for the equaliser but his 25-yard free kick was easily saved.

It was all Banchory now and Henderson could have done better than screw his shot past the position after 55 minutes. The centre forward was so unlucky three minutes later when his header came off the post and was scrambled clear.

The home side made a couple of substitutions to try to stem the Saints tide and this worked.

Play was confined to midfield for a while and, as overhead conditions worsened, so did underfoot although Thouless made a couple of vital cut outs from crosses. With 15 minutes remaining, the referee twice denied the Banchory claims for a penalty with balltohand incidents that have twice gone against them earlier in the season.

The last chance fell to Andy Close who back heeled a cross into the arms of Capstick inside the six-yard box.

Team: James Thouless, Steve Gray, John Smith, Darren Reid, Josh Robertson, Darren Pyper, Andy Close, Ryan Whelan, Scott Davie, Jack Henderson, Ben McGregor. Subs: Rhys Bain, Kyle Brunsmann, Jack Mitchell, Neal Oort, Stuart Rogie.

ThisSaturday,West Lothian side Pumperston will be travelling north for Scottish Junior Cup second round action at Milton park, kick off 2.30pm