Super Caley progress in seven goal cup tie

The second round of the President’s Cup last Saturday saw Bervie Caley Youth U-16s welcome Formartine United U16s from the “A” League.

With such a good run of results under their belt it was no surprise that Bervie started the match positively.

With Montgomerie winning the ball straight from kick off, he quickly found the feet of Collie who sent an early warning of Bervie’s intent just wide of the mark.

Bervie continued in this manner and were having the better of the play.

McLaughlin did well to find Avis who outpaced the defender to cross early but his ball across eluded the strikers and was cleared by the keeper.

As the half progressed, Formartine continued to try toforce their way into the match and Webster was beaten on the right, however Gordon was in place to make a timely intervention and clear the ball.

Bervie made the breakthrough midway through the half but it took a great bit of individual play to unlocked the visitors’ defence, Montgomerie weaving his way past three defenders before firing goalwards.

His first effort was blocked but he was first to the ball to slot home at the near post.

Encouraged by the goal, Bervie continued to press and McHardy did well to win position feeding Collie, his pass found Blacklaw who did well to win a corner.

Unable to get to grips with Bervie, there were signs of niggle coming into the match and the referee had to be strong to deal with some of the challenges and calls being made.

Bervie nearly got themselves into difficulty when a poor throw saw McHardy stretch for the ball, resulting in Gordon needing to commit a foul to break up play.

Another error nearly presented Formartine with a golden opportunity to level, Sawyer stretching to head a goal kick only diverted the ball goal ward, however Webster did well to using his pace to get back and clear the danger.

On the stroke of half time, Formartine were back on level terms when Bervie lost possession on the half way line, a long ball forward eluding the defence and the striker went through to lob the helpless Leisk and level the match.

Bervie started the second half knowing they should still have the lead and were on the front foot from the start, a free kick found Blacklaw at the back post and his volley brought out a good save from the visitors’ keeper.

However, it was the visitors who took the lead, Bervie failing to clear the ball properly saw a snap shot catch Leisk unsighted and sneak into the far corner.

A change in personnel saw McLaughlin move wide right and it was his persistence that created the next chance, winning a throw.

A quick throw found Collie whose touch allowed him to turn and fire a good effort into the far corner to level the match.

Bervie regained the lead, again from good play down the right, Salmond finding Collie from the throw and this time he fed McLaughlin who fired home.

Formartine were back on level terms with only minutes to go when Bervie conceded a free kick on the half way line, inviting another long ball to be launched into the box.

Leisk could only punch as far as the edge of the box and the forward steered a volley home to level the

The drama wasn’t finished at that, with Formartine perhaps caught up in the moment and Bervie broke forward with Collie tripped as he was about to shoot, however the referee allowed advantage and Blacklaw reacted well to fire home what proved to be
the winner.

It was an excellent result in what was a hard-fought match against a side sitting fourth in the top league, testament to Bervie’s current form.

Bervie line up: T. Leisk, K. Webster, K. Gordon (Cpt), M. Davies, L. Sawyer, W. Montgomerie, G. McHardy, D. Blacklaw, D. Avis, J. McLaughlin, M. Collie. Subs: S. Smith, M. Morris, H. Anderson, A. Wood, D. Salmond, E. Boyd