Three and easy for Stonehaven girls

Stoney travelled to play Aberdeen’s younger side in decent form, having won two out of their opening three league games.

Aberdeen themselves had started the season well, however Stoney started the game at a blistering pace and took an early deserved lead.

Porter twisted and turned away from her marker and slid a perfectly-weighted pass into the path of the fast breaking Townsend.

She still had work to do but she outpaced the defence before calmly slotting home with her weaker right foot.

The pace and movement of Stoney’s attacking quartet of Kennedy, Porter, Kelly and Townsend was proving too hot too handle as wave after wave of attack was orchestrated by holding midfielders Christie and Johnston.

Kennedy went close then Porter sped in only to have her shot stopped by a sprawling nearpost save. Then Townsend challenged for a high ball in the box and was butted to the ground.

Kennedy struck her penalty hard and low but it was well saved with the rebound being lofted over.

Slowly Aberdeen’s skilful forwards started to get the ball but they rarely troubled a rock solid defence well marshalled in the centre by Mackay and captain Smith.

Both Stonehaven full backs Brawley and Robertson showed enough pace and athleticism to contain the tricky Dons wingers. Only rarely was keeper Imray needed but her handling was so solid that she never appeared troubled.

Looking for a second goal, Stoney reshaped with Townsend dropping deeper and Tench and Fotheringham coming on to good effect. Doyle also came on and her pace and athleticism slotted into defence seamlessly. Evans also came on, adding a physically robust presence to the defence.

Early in the second half Fotheringham slipped her marker and fired the ball into the box but there were no takers.

Then Kennedy twice went close, put through by Porter and Townsend in turn, with her second shot -a fierce left-foot drive - drawing a fíne save from the keeper.

It was still all Stoney with Tench’s spinning and passing featuring well. Midway through the half playmaker Christie pounced on a loose ball to curl a lob past the keeper from the edge of the box.

Shortly thereafter, a passage of fierce Stoney pressure ended with a Porter córner being forced home by the maurauding Mackay.

Aberdeen finally started to exert pressure but Stoney keeper, Imray, was equal to it with a superb block then Kelly recovered from a miscued clearance by brilliantly getting back to hook the ball

The game ended with Stoney soaking up pressure but still causing danger on the break.

Player of the match - not a poor peformance from the 15 Stoney players but for her explosive first half display of power and skilful wingplay Porter edged it

Magic moment - if the first was a great team goal then the second from Christie was an exquisite strike.