Victory to no avail as Hive fail to qualify

Hive in action
Hive in action

Stonehaven travelled to Keith on Saturday to take on Islavale in their penultimate Grill League Cup group match knowing they had to win.

They also hoped Burghead could beat leaders Deveronside if they were to have any chance of progression.

The visitors started brightly and, with just two minutes gone, Bellu saw his shot spilled however Jonny Cook was unable to get to the rebound.

Islavale came close five minutes later when a free kick was worked out wide and a shot flashed across goal and out for a goal kick.

The opening goal came just three minutes later and it was The Hive who took the advantage.

Following a Hive corner the hosts failed to clear and eventually a penalty was awarded for handball.

Robertson stepped up and calmly converted the spot kick.

The lead wasn’t to last long,, however and the home side had levelled just five minutes later. A corner from the right wasn’t dealt with and Lewis Robertson headed past Stark.

The Hive broke upfield on 20 minutes and the ball was slipped out wide to Irvine who got to the by-line but the cut back was too short for Cook.

Three minutes later, a short corner saw Anderson cross to the back post where Irvine’s shot was blocked for another corner.

On the half hour, the ball was played out wide to Cook whose cross was laid to McWilliam but his shot was held by the ‘keeper.

Anderson tried his luck two minutes later but the defence cleared.

Half Time – Islavale 1 v 1 Stonehaven

Stonehaven made a chance during the break with Mathieson replacing McWilliam.

Bellu set up a chance after 49 minutes when he got the break of the ball and Irvine’s shot flashed wide.

The visitors took the lead two minutes later when Cook did well to keep ball in play and his cross fell to WATT who fired home.

The hosts had a chance on 58 minutes when the ball was played into the box however the resulting header went wide of goal. On the hour a ball from Watt to Cook saw the latter try his luck but his shot was blocked and held by the ‘keeper. Anderson tried his luck on 64 minutes but his shot was held.

Jonny Cook had a chance after 67 minutes when a ball in from Irvine on the right was headed wide of goal when it looked as if he had time to control it.

The Hive lead was extended on the 72nd minute minutes and it was Cook who finally got his name on the scoresheet. Bellu broke forward and played the ball into the path of the striker who saw his shot deflected past Stewart. The Hive had a few chances in the last 10 minutes but were unable to add to their tally. Deveronside were 2-0 victors at Burghead Thistle which means Stonehaven now have no chance of progression from the group stage.

STONEHAVEN: Stark, Low, Reid, Robertson, McTavish, Anderson (Strachan), Irvine, McWilliam (Mathieson), Bellu (Armstrong), Cook, Watt. Subs not used: Goate, Stephen.