Fordoun reach cup semi-final

editorial image

Fordoun 4

Northern Vaults 1

on a terrible night at Fordoun, Galaxy eased their way into the semi-finals of the Review Cup.

Fordoun made the breakthrough midway through the first half when a Hector strike slipped under the Vaults keepers’ body.

The home side extended their lead shortly after through Keddie. Ten minutes before half time a Vaults defender chopped down a Galaxy forward in the box, the referee awarded a penalty and Hector scored from the spot for the third game in a row.

Deans appeared to have added a fourth for Galaxy but the referee deemed that the ball had not crossed the line but Galaxy were not to be denied for long and Keddie did add a fourth to seal the tie for the home side.

Murray hit the bar for Galaxy and Cruickshank headed the ball over when it appeared easier to score. However, it was Vaults who got the final goal of the game with a consolation strike.

Golf Inn 3

Fordoun 1

With Hudsons having wrapped up the league title this was a battle to be crowned the best of the rest.

Golf Inn began with the strong wind behind them but it was the visitors who took the lead in the sixth minute when a Deans cross to the back post was met by Hector who made no mistake. The lead was short lived and Golf Inn equalised three minutes later with the Galaxy back line appealing for offside.

Galaxy then had a big penalty appeal turned away when McComiskie was upended in the box.

Galaxy started the second half brightly and R Stirling sent Deans down the left but the Golfie keeper made a good save from the winger. Golf Inn went ahead for the first time in the match when Cruickshank was beaten by an attacker who placed his shot inside the ‘keepers left hand post.

Deans saw another effort blocked after he got on the end of a Thomson cutback and at the other end Pirie did well to save another Golf Inn free kick.

Golf Inn wrapped up the game when a cross from the right was met with a great half volley which left the Galaxy number one with no chance.

The two sides will meet again at Broomfield on Thursday in the semi final of the Review Cup with a 6:45 kick off before both teams travel to Brechin next Sunday for their final league games against Hudsons and City Royal respectively.