Hive hit five

Stonehaven welcomed Banchory St Ternan on Saturday looking to take three points to start 2013 and make up for the previous week’s defeat at Dyce.
The first chance fell to Stonehaven when Lewis Shand saw his cross shot tipped over the bar. Less than a minute later Horne ran through on goal but was tripped by Leith who was booked. The free kick from Horne however struck Watt on its way through and the danger was gone.
A minute later a ball over the top found Horne who played it to Workman but his cross was blocked.
It wasn’t long before the hosts took the lead and on 8 minutes a ball down the left found Martin Shand who ran through before unselfishly squaring to Horne who had the simplest of tasks to make it 1-0.
With 18 minutes gone the ball was played to Workman who did well to cross to Martin Shand but his shot was blocked by the defence. The ball was then crossed in by Forsyth but the defence again cleared the danger.
Just two minutes later the lead was doubled when a Forsyth through ball was blocked but it fell to Murray who ran through and slotted past the ’keeper.
On the half hour mark Martin Shand’s effort was well saved by the legs of Murray Buchan in the visitors’ goal and almost immediately at the other end Smith punched a Moorhouse free kick straight to Craig Simpson, but the resulting lob went well over.
The third goal wasn’t far away and came just a couple of minutes later. Craig Graham was adjudged to have deliberately handled and Horne stepped up to take the resulting penalty but Buchan in the Banchory goal was equal to it however the rebound fell to Martin Shand who made no mistake.
Horne had another chance just before half time but despite rounding the ‘keeper his next touch saw the ball run out of play for a goal kick.

Stonehaven were forced into a change at the break when captain Phil McCall was forced off with a hamstring injury to be replaced by Max Alexander.
Hive had the first chance of the second half when a ball over the top from Croll found Horne but his shot lacked power.
With 56 minutes gone Stonehaven made it 4-0. The ball was played over to the left and neat interplay between Horne and Watt saw the latter play a neat backheel to Horne who curled low past Buchan.
Workman received the ball from Horne a minute later but his ball into the box was gathered by the ‘keeper.
After a five minute spell of pressure the visitors pulled a goal back. The ball was lost in midfield and played through to McGregor who advanced into the Hive box before finding the bottom corner of the net.
The visitors’ pressure continued with a Darren Pyper shot being blocked and then a great run by Reid and pass to McGregor which saw another shot being saved by the legs of Smith.

McGregor was unlucky again shortly after when from a Simpson corner his shot was blocked.
With just over quarter of an hour remaining Stonehaven made their remaining two substitutions with Workman and Watt being replaced by Stewart and Arrowsmith.

On 76 minutes a ball over the defence found Stewart who managed to outmuscle his marker but Buchan in the Banchory goal was equal to his shot.
With five minutes left an Arrowsmith cross from the left fell eventually to Stewart who played the ball in but both Horne and Martin Shand contrived to miss from just over a yard out.
Stewart had an effort in the last minute when he struck a left foot shot which brought a good save from Buchan.

The fifth goal came in stoppage time after the ball was worked from Alexander to Lewis Shand into the path of Horne who played in Lewis Shand who fired past the ‘keeper.

Stonehaven: Smith, Low, Lewis Shand, Croll, McCall (Alexander), Forsyth, Workman (Stewart), Murray, Martin Shand, Keith Horne, Watt (Arrowsmith). Subs: Sinclair, Taylor.