Hive let lead slip

Share this article

Stonehaven 3

Culter 3

Culter were the visitors in the Grill League Cup last Tuesday night as Stonehaven looked to continue on from the win over FC Stoneywood. The first 15 minutes were all Stonehaven. After five minutes a corner saw the ball end up at the feet of Reid who did well to hold it up and play it to Alexander who fired home his fifth goal of the season. Just five minutes later it was 2-0. Horne played the ball through to Lewis Shand who was fouled in the area but the ball fell to Steel who finished from six yards. Stonehaven’s third followed in 15 minutes, after good play between Steel and Horne saw the former get to the byeline and play the ball across to Horne who made no mistake.

Culter came into the game a bit more from then on and did force a few corners but the Hive defence were equal to it and the half ended with the home side well on top. Within five minutes of the start of the second half Culter had pulled a goal back. A free kick was needlessly given away five yards outside the penalty area and Robertson made no mistake, curling a left foot effort past Smith.

Just a couple of minutes later Culter got their second when McAllister headed home after being left unmarked when the ball was played into the penalty area. Stonehaven should have restored their two goal lead a few minutes later. The ball was played across the box by Horne and was only just kept from crossing the goal line although there were doubts as to whether it had stayed out.

Steel missed a great chance to make it 4-2 minutes just after the hour mark. A great ball across the box from Horne was met by the striker who side footed over the bar.

The Hive were let out of jail twice in the next ten minutes, firstly Smith made a great save after the ball wasn’t cleared following a corner, and shortly after a free header at the back post was flashed wide when it seemed easier to score.

With just ten minutes left, Culter equalised. As the Stonehaven defence tried to clear the danger, the ball ricocheted back to Murray who ran through and slid the ball past Smith. It could easily have been worse for Stonehaven but for Croll making an excellent sliding tackle with just minutes left on the clock to prevent Culter taking all three points. Stonehaven: Smith, Low, Lewis Shand, Sinclair, Reid, Croll, Alexander, Martin Shand, Steel, Horne, Glass (Hughes). Subs not used: Mathieson, Nicoll, Hay, Petrie, Cormack, MacGregor.