Hive two good for Sunnybank

Share this article

Stonehaven faced former managers Richard Craig and Derek Craigie when they brought their Sunnybank side to Glenury Park on Superleague duty last Saturday.

The home side started well Shand fired over from 20 yards. Young Craig Buchanan, making his first start for The Hive, had a couple of efforts shortly after. His first effort, saw him shoot tamely at Sweeney then a 20 yard effort was well held by the Sunnybank ‘keeper.

Sunnybank were coming more into the game and Muir Murray was causing problems down the Stonehaven right and only a sliding tackle from Cameron prevented a likely Sunnybank opener.

Stonehaven took the lead just after the half hour when a pass from Shand found Ellis who dinked a ball over the heads of the Sunnybank defenders to Cruickshank who slotted past Sweeney.

The hosts were enjoying most of the possession and were creating quite a few chances however these weren’t taken as firstly Cruickshank saw a header saved and a shot from Bryant flashed wide.

Sunnybank came flying out of the traps at the start of the second period and Thomson had a shot well saved by Smith.

Buchanan responded for Stonehaven, but his shot from 20 yards out went over the bar.

It was becoming quite an open second half and both sides were creating chances. Mark Bartlett dragged a shot wide for Sunnybank while a Shand free kick for Stonehaven was easily held by Sweeney.

Just after the hour mark a corner worked between Low, Ellis and Glass resulted in the ball being played to Ellis but unfortunately he could only fire over the bar.

Sunnybank almost got themselves an equaliser soon after when a good ball in by Carrol was fumbled by Smith but Jack missed a sitter.

It was 11 against 10 with just over ten minutes remaining when Steel of Sunnybank was sent off for foul and abusive language towards the nearside linesman.

Ally Paterson replaced Shand on 82 and with just two minutes left he put the game to bed when he fired home after a good cross from fellow substitute Will. Stonehaven: M Smith, Low, Gray, Cameron, Reid, Ellis, Buchanan, Cruickshank, Bryant, Shand, Glass. Subs: Cormack, Paterson, Will, J Smith.

Stonehaven 2 Sunnybank 0

Stonehaven entertained neighbours Banchory St Ternan last Tuesday, looking to kick on from the win at home to Sunnybank.

In a fast pace opening Banchory’s Garrett tested Michael Smith with a powerful shot but Smith was equal to it.

two minutes later McKenzie in the Banchory goal was at his best to tip an Ally Paterson overhead kick onto the bar and away to safety.

After five minutes Garrett was in the thick of things again when poor defending allowed Stainer to cross. The ball was headed goalwards only for the follow up to be prodded high and wide from just two yards.

Banchory were well on top at this point and the opener was only a matter of time. Horne picked up the ball and his shot from 20 yards was tipped over by Smith and from the resulting corner Stainer picked up the loose ball at the back post and found Alan McRae who sent in a low driven cross that missed everybody and nestled into the far corner.

Before the half time whistle, Shand and Fettes both went close to doubling Banchory’s lead but their headers were just off target.

Another frantic start to the second period resulted in a Banchory free kick out on the left. Keith Horne’s delivery caught Michael Smith off guard and the ball struck the far post before landing in the back of the net.

Stonehaven broke straight after the restart and McKenzie produced an excellent low save but for some reason the referee decided to award a goal kick.

it was 3-0 when a ball down the Hive left caught the defence out and Stainer slid past Smith.

Stonehaven made it 3-1 on the hour mark when a ball in from the left found Bryant on the edge of the box and he turned and shot past McKenzie into the bottom corner.

Banchory almost made it four when Horne forced great save from Smith.

Stonehaven fashioned a few chances and a corner from Glass was nodded across the Banchory box and Horne cleared off the line.

in 80 minutes Smith made a great save to keep it at 3-1 then Cormack really should have made it 3-2 but McKenzie was able to tip the ball wide.

Substitute Ritchie completed the scoring and the Stonehaven misery when he netted from close range.

Stonehaven: Smith, Low, Gray, Reid, Cameron, Ellis, Shand, Cruickshank, Paterson, Bryant, Glass. Subs: James Smith, Will, Cormack, Christie, Mathieson.

Stonehaven 1 Banchory 4