Johnshaven battle to a draw

Mintlaw 2 Johnshaven 2

Following the postponement of this fixture the previous week due to bad weather, Johnshaven were surprised to be making the long trip to Mintlaw in the rain.

They arrived to find the car park full of puddles but after the inspection of the pitch by the referee the game went ahead.

In the opening minutes Mintlaw had two corners in quick succession. The first was sliced past the post, then Johnshaven cleared the second.

In the 19th minute Philip went up the left before crossing to the back post and Brown’s header went past the post.

A couple of minutes later, Stuart Beedie skinned his man before putting in a cross which was cleared. The resulting corner was half cleared by the Mintlaw keeper and a shot from Ross Blease flew past the post.

In the 27th minute Philip put in a low cross which was spilled by the keeper. Dundas reacted quickly for a shot which a Mintlaw defender blocked.

A couple of minutes Dundas who knocked the ball back to Philip who tried to take advantage of the Mintlaw keeper being off his line but he chipped over the bar.

In the 33rd minute Johnshaven went close to opening the scoring when some good play between Stuart Beedie and Dundas resulted in a shot from Beedie which was saved.

Johnshaven took the lead in 36 minutes. Scott Beedie laid the ball to Leon Dundas who chipped the advancing Mintlaw keeper.

Ross Blease blocked a Mintlaw goalbound shot, then two subsequent corners were cleared by Brown and Stuart Beedie.

In the 42nd minute a Mintlaw shot from 12 yards was cleared off the line by Brown but the rebound fell to a Mintlaw player who slammed it home for the equaliser.

In the 53rd minute Scott Beedie’s cross found his brother Stuart on the edge of the six yard box but his shot went past the post.

A few minutes later a throw-in by Brown found Philip who shot wide on the turn.

Milne was then one on one with the Mintlaw keeper, but the keeper dived to save.

In the 58th minute Scott Beedie was brought down in the box and Ross Blease converted from the spot.

In the 70th minute a speculative 30 yard wind assisted shot from Mintlaw found the net to make it 2-2.

From the kick off the ball was played to Dundas who went on a diagonal run but his shot was saved by the Mintlaw keeper.

In Johnshaven’s next attack a shot from Milne was saved by the diving Mintlaw keeper.

In the dying minutes a shot from Ross Blease was parried by the Mintlaw keeper who then dived on the ball.

Man of the Match was Robert Milne.

Johnshaven: Trialist, Darren Brown, Stephen Stephen, Ross Blease, Steven Smith, Stuart Beedie (Trialist), Jack Dalgarno, Robert Milne, Scott Beedie, Grant Philip, Leon Dundas.