Luthermuir champions

editorial image

Johnshaven 2

Luthermuir 4

Luthermuir clinched the Aberdeenshire Amateur League Division One East title with a 4-2 win at Johnshaven on Wednesday.

Johnshaven pushed the new champions every inch of the way, but in the end Luthermuir did enough to take the points and win the league with three games to spare.

Luthermuir got off to a dream start with a goal in three minutes. Michael Cruickshank broke on the left, Stephen Greig chipped his pass over keeper Matt Smith and Murdoch Anderson headed home.

In ten minutes, Ryan Darar had an angled drive saved by Smith.

Johnshaven equalised in the 17th minute. James Wood gave the ball away and Lee Hood played a pass through for David Beedie to tuck a shot past the advancing John Wands.

The home side attacked and in 22 minutes a Scott Beedie header from a Ross Blease free-kick was saved by Wands.

Two minutes later, David Beedie fired in a shot which Wands turned round the post at full stretch.

Things were not going Luthermuir’s way and in 27 minutes, Johnshaven went 2-1 up. Wands could only push a Hood free-kick into the air and when the ball came down, Scott Beedie was on hand to score.

Having got themselves ahead, Johnshaven suffered a blow just two minutes later when Robert Milne was shown a straight red card for a wild challenge on David Craig.

The ten men continued to match their opponents and three minutes from half-time, Scott Beedie went on a run and shot wide.

Luthermuir needed three points to be champions and they set about puting things right at the start of the second half. A Jim Ellis free-kick was pushed out by Smith and Euan Duff hit the side netting.

The scores were level in 51 minutes. Greig headed the ball on and Ewan Slesser made space for himself before shooting into the bottom corner.

Johnshaven immediately went on the attack and Hood had an angled drive turned for a corner by Wands with a team mate unmarked in the middle.

Luthermuir went in front in 57 minutes. Ryan Milne knocked the ball down and Ellis shot home.

Both sides continued to make chances. Calum Young shot just wide for Luthermuir in 70 minutes, then a minute later, Ross Blease did likewise at the other end.

A Greig shot was beaten away by Matt Smith, then in 81 minutes, Steven Smith collected a Hood flick and shot just wide.

Luthermuir held on to their advantage and two minutes into added time, Greig had another shot saved.

Luthermuir could finally celebrate in the fourth minute of added time when they made the points safe. Ellis robbed a defender on the right and passed inside for Slesser to score his second of the game.

Johnshaven: M. Smith, Dalgarno, Slavin (Comiskey), R. Blease (S. Blease), Scott, Walger, D. Beedie (Leven), S. Beedie, Milne, Hood, S. Smith. Subs: D. Stephen, S. Stephen.

Luthermuir: Wands, R. Darar (Milne), Miller, Duff, Wood (Young), Reid, Ellis, Craig, Anderson (Slesser), Greig, Cruickshank. Subs: K. Darar, Morrison.