Mackie FP 2nds win against Peterhead

Share this article

On Saturday Mackie FP’s 2nd XV traveled north to Peterhead to finally kick off their 2012/2013 after the first 3 games were postponed.

Fielding a strong squad the Mackie boys, chomping at the bit, were eager to get on to the pitch against a Peterhead side that had already played twice this season.

Despite a bit of rain the weather was suitable for some running rugby. Captain Rob Potter won the toss and optioned to kick off down the hill.

Hesitation from the home side at the kick off almost lead to an early Mackie score when Potter with a cross-field kick nearly had the impressive Adam Hunter, making his debut for the senior side, scampering to score in the corner.

The early stages of the game were a bit scrappy with the ball squeaking around like a soap bar but this did not prevent Mackie from trying to get the ball wide to the backs. The forwards ploughed on hard against a big Peterhead pack working relentlessly at the breakdown to try and secure quick ball for the backline.

With Andy Reid calling the shots at fly-half and centre’s Mike Kelly and Chris Kay running strong lines in the midfield Mackie where getting through the phases and playing a good off loading game and stretching Peterhead.

After a period of sustained pressure this then lead to two try’s in quick succession from winger Mark Beadie after good work and strong running from the Mackie pack.

Peterhead looked to up their game and attempted to get their big runners into the game but the Mackie defense stood solid. The Mackie forwards worked tirelessly in the tackle area and breakdown to neutralize any threat.

Continual breakdown infringements from Peterhead lead to 3 points from the reliable boot of Calum Reddish to see the scoreline read 15-0.

Mackie had been struggling to get the lineout going but a great take by second row Stuart Byers and some 15 man rugby and offloading allowed for fellow lock Stuart Lawson to scythe through the Peterhead midfield with his trademark dummy and looping and score under the posts. 22-0 at Half time.

The second half didn’t get off to the best possible start when Lawson suffered a nasty injury when colliding with a Peterhead player. After a sustained delay the game restarted and resulted in a Peterhead score after they produced some strong 8-man rugby and the Mackie defence went to sleep.

With the injury to Lawson and the hold up in the game Mackie briefly lost their concentration and structure which resulted in several line breaks from the Peterhead backs and the Mackie defence was beginning to be stretched. However, Mackie were determined to consolidate and after 10mins settled back into a structure and made numerous line breaks through the midfield notably from returning player Dan Lane who produced a zigzagging run through the Peterhead defence. With greater composure there were certainly more tries on offer to Mackie.

Finally by moving the Peterhead defence around Mackie gained the all important bonus point with great work sucking in defence through a set structure and some barnstorming runs from back row forwards Mark Coull and Jamie Kindess and strong rucking from Newell which ultimately led to the speedster Chris Kay being released for a wide half way run to the line.

The back end of the match saw Mackie lose possession at key points and being pinned back with the wind. Play finished with another ruck infringement by the home team where Potter kicked it out to win the match.

After a frustrating start to the season this was a great first win for the 2nds against a big team in tough conditions. The pack worked hard with the likes of Stuart Irvine and Richard Levack putting in solid shifts in the front row and the backs looked to get the ball through the hands to play an expansive game with notable performances from Mark Beadie and the up and coming Adam Hunter on the wings.

Mackie Line Up – Thurlow, Beadie, Kay, Kelly, Hunter, A Reid, Potter, Coull, Newell, Kindness, Byers, Lawson, Irvine, Reddish, C Reid. Subs – R Levack, Lane, Brown, Rhoney.

Mackie 2nds are next in action against Garioch 2nds at home on the 13th October.