Aberdeenshire South find stride in 9 goal victory

Aberdeenshire South 9 Granite City Wanderers 5ths 1

Following a three week lay off due to weather and holidays ASHC hosted Granite City Wanderers 5ths at Portlethen on Sunday.

ASHC over the past few months have started games slowly but this game saw them right in their stride from the start and within three minutes a penalty corner move saw the ball slipped to Euan Macnaughton on the right who dummied the shot and slipped the ball to Stuart Black at the penalty spot to fire home past the Granite City Wanderers keeper. It was all one way traffic and in the 8th minute the ball found its way to John Ritchie on the left of the circle and his shot was fired low past the keeper at the near post (2-0).

Granite City Wanderers started to find their feet but still struggled to get out of their half and in the 15th minute Gavin McNab scored number three from close range (3-0). Within 2 minutes Granite City Wanderers were back in the game a move down the left found its way to the back post for the young forward to deflect home (3-1). This seemed to fire up ASHC and Stuart Black got his second from a move that found him at the top of the circle and he fired home the fourth (4-1). Goal five was the goal of the day Robbie Wallis won the ball in his own circle, laid off the ball to Macnaughton who in return moved the ball back to Wallis who continued his run to feed Black on the right who played the ball to Ben McKellar at the baseline and his pass found Gavin McNab in front of goal, saw the goalkeeper dive at his feet but showed composure to flick the ball high into the net (5-1). Another move down the right in the 2nd half starting with a ball up the line from Kevin McKellar saw Black move the ball into the circle to Gavin McNab who took a shot that was well saved by the Granite City Wanderers keepers feet but the rebound fell to Jack Taylor lurking at the top of the circle who fired his shot high into the net (6-1). Right on half time a penalty corner was awarded to ASHC and was converted by a straight strike from Scott McNab low into the keeper’s right hand corner. HT 7-1

The second half was a quieter affair with the visitors defending deep and occasionally breaking forward but their only strike at goal in the second half was easily dealt with by Mitchell Deighton in the ASHC goal. A penalty corner in the 42nd minute was an exact copy of Scott McNab’s first goal fired low and hard into the right hand corner (8-1). The final goal came after some good work by Connor Munroe on the left who fed Ritchie who played the ball into the circle for Stuart Black to finish his hat-trick with a flick past the keeper. (FT 9-1)

Next weekend sees a double header of games, which is the catch up of cancelled games which are needed to be played prior to end of the month. On Saturday ASHC face Granite City Wanderers at Rubislaw (3pm) and on Sunday ASHC face Aberdeen University 4ths @ Hillhead SC (2.30pm).