Mackie Minis enjoy fruitful tournament

Meckie Minis at Ellon
Meckie Minis at Ellon

Sunday saw the P4s head north to Ellon for their first competitive contact tournament of the season.

Mackie were drawn in the stronger of the two groups along with Grammar, Deeside and Ellon.

First up were Grammar and the final score was 6 – 2 to Mackie so a good start.

Next were Deeside. This game was always likely to decide the group and it proved to be an absolute cracker. It took a while for Mackie to make in-roads . Attacking ball was split between charges down the middle and spreading it wide and by the interval theye had taken a two score lead. Mackie pulled two further scores clear before a spirited Deeside outfit claimed a couple of late deserved tries. Final Score 4 - 2

Last up were Ellon II. A game but outclassed Ellon were beaten 8 -0. This result put Mackie top of their group so into the semi finals to play the runner up in the other group.

The semi final was against Aberdeen Wanderers. The match started okay with Mackie’s defense working well and a couple of breaks from deep led to an early 2 – 0 scoreline. Wanderers got way back into the game and from coasting at 2- 0, it was now 2-2 with momentum gone. After the re-start Mackie eventually ran out 6 – 2 winners but it should have been easier.

Opponents in the final were Garioch. The game was a very stop start affair with Mackie committing a few basic mistakes which lost them any early momentum or scores. The game was not helped by a ligament injury to the referee which necessitated a substitute referee from among the Mackie Coaches. Each occasion Mackie scored, Garioch seemed to score soon after. Final score Mackie 3 – 6 Garioch

P4 Squad: Adam, Alex, Ben, Douglas, Hunter, Jake, Joe, Robbie, Rory, William.

Mackie red P7and Mackie black harlequin squad also travelled to Ellon, the latter a mixed team with Deeside.

First up were reds against a well spirited Garioch side. Mackie ran in eight tries unopposed. Harlequins lost out in the end to a strong Grammar squad.

Next for reds was Grammar 1 and they ran in comfortable winners.

Again Mackie Black found a well organized Ellon team and went down by two tries.

Game three for reds was against heir old adversaries, Deeside, who showed good ball control to run in two good tries to draw the match.

Blacks had a well fought game against Wanderers, losing out by one try by the eventual winners of the pool.

Mackie reds went through as winners of their pool and playing the Grammar team who had beaten their team mates, running in easy winners.

Deeside won their semi so there was a rematch.

Excellent tackling from the whole Mackie side, Luke and Dean tackling everything above grass level, found them winning clean ball and unleashing the back line, quick hands from Tom put Mathew in over the line.

Jack and Callum combining well which allowed Logan the chance to out sprint his opposite number to score a try in the corner.

In the second half, continuous pressure saw Mackie in the Deeside 10 metresfor most of the remaining minutes. Owen and Mick linked well with Ross and Alex putting the power in up front. A quick ball picked up from the back of the ruck saw James pop onto a pass into Matthew who dived for the line sealing a great victory. Perfect result 3-1 on a very cold day.

P7 Mackie Red Squad: Logan, Owen, Findlay, Matthew, Cameron, Jack, Ross, Dean, James, Luke, Alex, Callum, Tom, Cammy