Rush of matches for Newtonhill FC

Newtonhill 3 RGU 5

NEWTONHILL faced the league leaders in front of their biggest crowd of the season and there was a tremendous atmosphere around the ground as the teams took the field.

A minute silence was held prior to kick off for Roddy Macdonald, who sadly passed away the same morning. Another huge loss not only for Newtonhill AFC but also Newtonhill as a community. The first goal came from the first meaningful attack from either side and it was The Hill who got their noses in front after 12 minutes. A long throw in from A. Brooks was finished at the second time of asking by Shane Barraza after the keeper had done well to keep out his first effort.

RGU responded well and two quickfire goals had them ahead at the break. RGU extended their advantage shortly after the break, much to Newtonhill’s dismay, as there appeared to be a blatant push missed by the referee in the build up to the goal.

Newtonhill reduced the deficit when a long, hopeful ball was brought down by Keith and finished expertly from a tight angle. The Hill were now in the ascendancy but were sucker punched by a brilliant 35 yard strike which flew over Farquhar.

Within a minute the Hill brought it back to 4-3 when Connelly set up Smith who hit a rasping volley from 30 yards past the RGU keeper.

With just ten minutes remaining Keith was unlucky to see his volley come back off the bar and there was a strong penalty appeal from the rebound after Barzza appeared to be impeded.

With just 5 minutes remaining RGU dashed any hopes of another dramatic Newtonhill comeback when Newtonhill’s Bougherra managed to notch his second OG in a week when his attempt at a diving headed clearance flew in off the post.

Hilton 3 Newtonhill 3 Newtonhill had to settle for a point against promotion chasing Hilton in a hard fought match at Sheddocksley. The breakthrough came in the 20th minute when a long ball from Newtonhill’s Hay was only half cleared to Keith who rolled the ball into the path of Barraza who smashed the ball into the top corner.

Ten minutes from half-time Hilton equalised after Newtonhill failed to deal with an inswinging free-kick. Just minutes later Keith again found Barrza in the box and the little striker danced through the Hilton defence to score. Hilton hauled themselves back on level terms, and deservedly so, when their No.8 found the back of the net from 20 yards.

The home team continued to press looking for a winner but were caught out by a classic Newtonhill counter attack. D. Christie released Barraza deep inside Hilton’s half and the striker waltzed past two defenders before slipping in Keith who made no mistake from 12 yards.

Hilton continued to pose serious problems for Newtonhill’s defence and for the third time in the match dragged themselves back on level terms.

With just seconds remaining, it was the Hill who had the chance to steal the 3 points. Barraza played in Keith whose touch sent him wide of goal but the big striker did well to cut the ball back into the path of Barraza who had an open goal from 6 yards out but was denied by a brilliant last ditch tackle.